This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
The name of this dish – Bubble and Squeak – makes our entire family smile!
We were out eating dinner one night at our neighborhood British-inspired pub (we’ve mentioned that restaurant here as well) when my daughter spotted a dish on the menu called “Bubble and Squeak.” Bubble and Squeak is a classic English dish made from the leftover vegetables from a roast dinner. The vegetables get diced and fried in leftover pan drippings from the roast – creating a bubbling and squeaking sound as it cooks – and that inspired the name of this dish!
Bubble and Squeak is a super flavorful and delicious hash! The most common vegetables in Bubble and Squeak are potatoes and Brussels sprouts, but any other vegetables may be added. (Many recipes today include cabbage in place of the Brussels sprouts.) Today, this recipe is most commonly made as a vegetarian dish – but according to Wikipedia, traditionally meat was added as well.
Our version today is a nod to the original meat-filled version but we made our Bubbles and Squeak with ham! This recipe is another delicious way to get a second meal from your leftover holiday meal of baked ham, potatoes and Brussels sprouts!
This Bubble and Squeak with Ham can be served for breakfast with a fried egg on top – or it’s also delicious eaten on its own for lunch! I also like mixing it into a tossed salad. And – feel free to change up the vegetables (and meat and drippings) in your Bubble and Squeak based on what you have on hand for leftovers.
We love seeing what you made! Tag us on Instagram at @afamilyfeast or hashtag #afamilyfeast so we can see your creations!
Bubble and Squeak with Ham
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 pound onion large diced
- 1/2 pound trimmed Brussels sprouts, cut in half the long way and then sliced (leftover cooked Brussels sprouts may also be used)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 pound leftover ham, cut into small cubes
- 1 pound leftover cooked boiled or mashed potatoes
- In a 10-inch cast iron or heavy bottomed skillet, melt butter and bacon fat over medium heat. Add onion and cook for three minutes stirring occasionally. Add cut up sprouts and garlic and cook for 6-8 minutes or just until the sprouts are tender but firm.
- Add ham and heat for 1-2 minutes. Stir in potatoes and flatten and cook for about 2 minutes then turn with a heavy spatula so both sides brown. (The texture will be like hash so don’t expect to flip the whole mixture all at once.)
- Cook the other side to brown and remove from heat. (The more browned and the more it sticks and gets crusty, the better. Just keep the heat on medium so it doesn’t stick and burn.)
- Serve as is or with eggs and bacon.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
You may also like:
Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
Leave a Comment