This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
How to make an authentic New England Lobster Roll!Eating lobster is usually a luxury for us – reserved for special occasions or a special and delicious treat! But thanks to a glut of Maine lobsters this summer – prices at the market for lobster here in New England are at record lows. So we’ve been eating (and thoroughly enjoying) this delicious seafood quite a bit! A classic meal here in New England is the Lobster Roll! Although the original Maine lobster roll is simply cooked lobster meat and melted butter on a buttered and grilled hot dog roll, most restaurants make a New England lobster roll with a lobster salad made with a mayonnaise base. Today’s recipe is our version of the classic New England lobster roll similar to those served in local area restaurants.
How do you make a New England Lobster Roll?The trick to making the perfect New England lobster roll is to keep it simple. The flavor of lobster is so delicious and so unique, that you don’t want to over-complicate the recipe too much with flavors that will overwhelm your lobster salad. Just a touch of mayonnaise and lemon juice along with some finely chopped celery, parsley and scallion are the perfect complement to the fresh lobster meat. My husband Jack also adds a touch of hot sauce (we used sriracha) which brightens up the flavors of our New England lobster roll, but adding it is optional. coleslaw – these New England lobster rolls are a classic taste of New England! You might like these other Lobster recipes:
- Lobster Sambuca over Fettucini
- Lobster Bisque
- Lobster Newberg
- Lobster Corn Chowder
- Lobster Mac and Cheese
- Lobster Stock
- 1 pound cooked lobster meat cut into bite sized chunks
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup finely chopped celery (use tender inner stalks)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons green tops from a scallion, minced fine
- 1 dash hot sauce (we like Cholula)
- Pinch is salt
- Few grinds freshly ground black pepper
- Split-top hot dog rolls
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Optional – lettuce for serving.
- Place the cooked lobster meat in large bowl.
- In a separate, smaller bowl combine the mayonnaise, lemon juice, celery, parsley, scallion, hot sauce, and salt and pepper. Mix and taste for seasoning. Once you have the seasoning to your liking, add to the cooked lobster meat and mix.
- Brush both sides of rolls with butter and toast both sides in a medium fry pan over medium heat until nicely browned.
- Divide the lobster salad between each roll per your preference. Some serve lettuce under the lobster salad but we like it without, your choice.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.