This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
At our house, we often eat seafood (one of the many benefits of living near the coast) and this coleslaw recipe is the perfect accompaniment to a fish dinner – plus it’s so easy to make!
This is a recipe that my husband Jack has perfected over the years. The combination of seasonings (including his secret ingredient – Colman’s powdered mustard) added to the mayonnaise, plus a touch of sugar for sweetness gives this coleslaw that perfect balance of flavors.
Although we most often eat this with seafood, this coleslaw also works really well on a pulled pork or Rueben sandwich. Also, we shred our own cabbage and carrots for this dish, but if you’re in a rush and want to use the pre-shredded cabbage mix you can find in some supermarket produce sections – go right ahead. The dressing will work just as well on the pre-shredded mix – just be sure to adjust the quantity of dressing accordingly based on the size of the bag.
- 6 cups shaved green cabbage
- 1 medium peeled and shredded carrot
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 Tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Colman’s powdered mustard
- ½ teaspoon poppy seeds
- 2 Tablespoons white sugar
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Shave cabbage by hand as thinly as possible. Add shredded carrot.
- In a separate bowl, mix the remaining ingredients.
- Add the mayonnaise mixture to the cabbage and carrots.
- Let sit in the refrigerator for one hour to incorporate flavors, then mix again and serve.
- If the coleslaw mixture is too watery after sitting, drain slightly before serving.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
You may also like: