At our house, we often eat seafood (one of the many benefits of living near the coast) and this coleslaw recipe is the perfect accompaniment to a fish dinner – plus it’s so easy to make!
This is a recipe that my husband Jack has perfected over the years. The combination of seasonings (including his secret ingredient – Colman’s powdered mustard) added to the mayonnaise, plus a touch of sugar for sweetness gives this coleslaw that perfect balance of flavors.
Although we most often eat this with seafood, this coleslaw also works really well on a pulled pork or Rueben sandwich. Also, we shred our own cabbage and carrots for this dish, but if you’re in a rush and want to use the pre-shredded cabbage mix you can find in some supermarket produce sections – go right ahead. The dressing will work just as well on the pre-shredded mix – just be sure to adjust the quantity of dressing accordingly based on the size of the bag.Print
- 6 cups shaved green cabbage
- 1 medium peeled and shredded carrot
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 Tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Colman’s powdered mustard
- ½ teaspoon poppy seeds
- 2 Tablespoons white sugar
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Shave cabbage by hand as thinly as possible. Add shredded carrot.
- In a separate bowl, mix the remaining ingredients.
- Add the mayonnaise mixture to the cabbage and carrots.
- Let sit in the refrigerator for one hour to incorporate flavors, then mix again and serve.
- If the coleslaw mixture is too watery after sitting, drain slightly before serving.
You may also like: