Our Kielbasa Reuben is a delicious twist on the classic deli sandwich!
We’ve taken the liberty of swapping in kielbasa for the corned beef, and Gouda cheese instead of the more traditional Swiss cheese you would typically find in a Reuben sandwich.
It’s all deliciously layered on slices of pumpernickel bread that has been slathered with that fantastic, homemade Russian dressing we shared with you yesterday! And of course, some zesty sauerkraut finishes off this incredible sandwich.
Once assembled, we like to toast our Kielbasa Reuben sandwiches so that the cheese melts and the pumpernickel is warm and crispy. You can do the toasting on a flat, buttered griddle pan or with a panini press – your choice!
This Kielbasa Reuben is a burst of fantastic zesty flavors in your mouth you are sure to love! We like to serve it with Jack’s Potato Salad, dill pickles and some potato chips on the side. Enjoy and don’t forget the napkins!Print
- 8 ounces kielbasa sausage
- 4 slices dark pumpernickel bread
- 2 tablespoons Russian Dressing, see our homemade recipe here
- 4 ounces sliced Gouda cheese
- ½ cup well drained sauerkraut
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Grill the whole kielbasa unsliced on an outdoor grill or in a ribbed pan until heated through and browned. Remove from heat and let sit unsliced.
- Lay out four slices of the dark Pumpernickel and divide the sliced Gouda between all four slices.
- Divide the Russian dressing and spread over the cheese on all four slices.
- Place the sauerkraut on two halves.
- Cut the Kielbasa into ¼ inch slices on the bias and place on the other two halves.
- Heat a flat grill pan over medium high heat and melt butter to cover the whole surface.
- When the butter starts to get frothy and a little brown, lay all four slices down with topping facing up.
- Cover loosely with a sheet of foil to keep the filling hot.
- Keep heat between medium and medium high so that the cheese melts before the bread gets too browned.
- Once done, combine the two halves and serve sliced in half.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
You may also enjoy: