- 8 ounces kielbasa sausage
- 4 slices dark pumpernickel bread
- 2 tablespoons Russian Dressing, see our homemade recipe here
- 4 ounces sliced Gouda cheese
- ½ cup well drained sauerkraut
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Grill the whole kielbasa unsliced on an outdoor grill or in a ribbed pan until heated through and browned. Remove from heat and let sit unsliced.
- Lay out four slices of the dark Pumpernickel and divide the sliced Gouda between all four slices.
- Divide the Russian dressing and spread over the cheese on all four slices.
- Place the sauerkraut on two halves.
- Cut the Kielbasa into ¼ inch slices on the bias and place on the other two halves.
- Heat a flat grill pan over medium high heat and melt butter to cover the whole surface.
- When the butter starts to get frothy and a little brown, lay all four slices down with topping facing up.
- Cover loosely with a sheet of foil to keep the filling hot.
- Keep heat between medium and medium high so that the cheese melts before the bread gets too browned.
- Once done, combine the two halves and serve sliced in half.