- 2 tablespoons bacon fat
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ pound onion large diced
- ½ pound trimmed Brussels sprouts, cut in half the long way and then sliced (leftover cooked Brussels sprouts may also be used)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- ½ pound leftover ham, cut into small cubes
- 1 pound leftover cooked boiled or mashed potatoes
- In a 10-inch cast iron or heavy bottomed skillet, melt butter and bacon fat over medium heat. Add onion and cook for three minutes stirring occasionally. Add cut up sprouts and garlic and cook for 6-8 minutes or just until the sprouts are tender but firm.
- Add ham and heat for 1-2 minutes. Stir in potatoes and flatten and cook for about 2 minutes then turn with a heavy spatula so both sides brown. (The texture will be like hash so don’t expect to flip the whole mixture all at once.)
- Cook the other side to brown and remove from heat. (The more browned and the more it sticks and gets crusty, the better. Just keep the heat on medium so it doesn’t stick and burn.)
- Serve as is or with eggs and bacon.