This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Pinch of baking powder
- Vegetable shortening to grease the pan
- Non-stick popover pans or muffin tins; see note
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs for one minute until creamy.
- Slowly add half of the milk, whisking while you add.
- Sift flour, salt and baking powder and add a little at a time whisking as you add.
- Slowly add rest of milk whisking as you add. Batter will be consistency of heavy cream.
- Let batter sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Generously grease the popover pans with the vegetable shortening.
- Fill each half full. If using muffin pan, also grease and fill half full.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 425 degrees, lower heat to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes. Ours were done in 32 minutes total. When you lower temp to 350 degrees, do not open oven door.
- The popovers should have risen up and over the tops of the pan and be light and airy, not doughy.
- Serve hot with butter and jam.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.