This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon honey or sugar
- 2/3 cup warm milk (110 degrees), divided
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour, plus 2 Tablespoons for sprinkling
- 1 ¼ cups grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, divided
- 5 tablespoons softened butter cut into tablespoon pieces, plus extra to butter the pan
- 1 tablespoon water
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, place yeast, honey and 1/3 cup of the warm milk, stir and let sit until foamy, about 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix 2 ½ cups flour, Parmesan, and salt together. Add this to the yeast mixture along with the other 1/3 cup of warm milk and beat on low to combine. Add two eggs, one at a time, beating well as each egg is added. Scrape down bowl and beat on medium for three minutes.
- Turn mixer to low and add butter, one tablespoon at a time until finished dough is formed. Dough will be elastic and very sticky. Scrape dough down into a ball and sprinkle 2 tablespoons of flour over top. Cover with plastic and then with a dish towel and let sit in a draft free warm place for 1 ½ to 2 hours.
- Punch down dough but do not knead. Pour out onto your floured counter and roll into a log. Cut the log into 12 even pieces and roll each piece into a ball using a circular motion with the palm of your hand.
- Butter a 9” round cake pan and place rolls in pan spacing evenly. Cover with a dish towel and place back in warm draft free place for another 1 to 1 ½ hours. Rolls should be puffed up and fill the pan.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and place rack in center.
- Beat the last egg with the water and brush over tops of rolls. Discard unused egg wash. Bake rolls for 20-25 minutes until browned.
- Loosen edges if necessary with a knife and flip out onto a rack. Then flip back over so they cool upright. Cool for 20 minutes. Best eaten right away, or bring to your barber to brighten her day.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.