The classic Jordan Pond Popovers recipe from Jordan Pond House in Maine's Acadia National Park.

After their wedding a few months ago, our oldest daughter Courtney and her new husband Kenny honeymooned at Acadia National Park in Maine. Not everyone goes camping on their honeymoon – but they both love the great outdoors and Acadia was their idea of a perfect getaway!

Jordan Pond Popovers - A Family Feast

Courtney and Kenny returned from their honeymoon bearing gifts – and the gift for us included all of the makings for us to share the famous Jordan Pond Popovers recipe here on A Family Feast! According to their website, Jordan Pond House has been serving popovers since the 1890’s when owner Nellie MacIntire began the tradition.

The story goes that every afternoon, Jordan Pond in Maine makes these popovers and serves them to guests and visitors along with strawberry jam and a cup of tea. Courtney and Kenny brought us back a wonderful gift of a popover pan, some Jordan Pond strawberry jam, and a Jordan Pond oven mitt with the famous popover recipe printed on the back which we’re sharing here today.

The Jordan Pond popovers recipe was as simple as it gets with just five ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen! Just mix up the batter and allow it to rest for 30 minutes (you want the batter to be at room temperature when you bake the popovers). Then pour the batter into the pan and bake!

The baking time for these popovers was around 30 minutes – and Jack and I devoured the popovers you see here as soon as we were done taking these photos.   The popovers were light and crispy on the outside and soft and warm on the inside – just perfect for smearing with melted butter and a spoon of that sweet strawberry jam!

Jack and I both wish we knew how simple popovers are to make – and now that we know, they’ll be a regular addition to our holiday (or any day) menu!

The original recipe also suggests that you can make and refrigerate the batter the night before, bring out to room temperature for an hour in the morning and bake as directed.

clock clock iconcutlery cutlery iconflag flag iconfolder folder iconinstagram instagram iconpinterest pinterest iconfacebook facebook iconprint print iconsquares squares iconheart heart iconheart solid heart solid icon
Jordan Pond Popovers - A Family Feast

Jordan Pond Popovers

• Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
  • Yield: 6 large popovers

Note: If you do not have a popover pan, simply use a muffin tin. They will bake up smaller, take slightly less time and yield close to a dozen.

• 2 large eggs
  • 1 cup whole milk, divided
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • Pinch of baking powder
  • Vegetable shortening to grease the pan
  • Non-stick popover pans or muffin tins; see note

1. In a medium bowl, whisk eggs for one minute until creamy.
  2. Slowly add half of the milk, whisking while you add.
  3. Sift flour, salt and baking powder and add a little at a time whisking as you add.
  4. Slowly add rest of milk whisking as you add. Batter will be consistency of heavy cream.
  5. Let batter sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
  6. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
  7. Generously grease the popover pans with the vegetable shortening.
  8. Fill each half full. If using muffin pan, also grease and fill half full.
  9. Bake for 15 minutes at 425 degrees, lower heat to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes. Ours were done in 32 minutes total. When you lower temp to 350 degrees, do not open oven door.
  10. The popovers should have risen up and over the tops of the pan and be light and airy, not doughy.
  11. Serve hot with butter and jam.

Christmas Jam

Christmas Jam - A Family Feast

Parmesan Pull-Apart Rolls

Parmesan Pull-Apart Rolls - A Family Feast

Recipe rating

Comments

• Cary wrote:

Jill, I have yet to see a proper popover pan with 12 wells. You could certainly make mini popovers (with adjusted baking time), but why bother when you can have a glorious full-sized one!

As they are deep-welled, you’ll find pans for 6 popovers. If you’d like to make a dozen, two racks will fit, side by side, in your oven.

If you ever happen upon a deep-well iron rack, buy it and treasure it and you will enjoy most the delicious popovers!

• Cary Cox wrote:

Thanks, Martha! However, in my excitement to share my knowledge with fellow popover lovers, I forgot one important thing!

You can certainly make the popovers straight from mixing the batter.

However, as the gal from whom I learned, old batter is better! (I call it goop)

Rest the covered batter in a glass batter bowl for up to three days. (The longer you can wait, the happier you will be!)

There will be a bit of a separation along the top, hence goop, which is not the prettiest of sights.

However, with a gentle whisk to reincorporate, it will turn back into the beautiful thin yellow batter you saw days before.

Fill each well-greased cup 2/3 – 3/4 full. Enjoy the aroma whilst they cook–without opening the oven! As soon as they’re cool enough to handle, gently twist and lift or remove from pan. If you’re not serving them immediately, simply make a small puncture along the bottom (area within the cup, not the beautiful puff). That will allow some steam to escape and prevent the popover from deflating.

Serve warm with butter. In the off chance you have extra, place in a bowl (I use a colander layered with paper towels) and keep in a cool area. Reheat slowly in a 200o oven.

Thank you, Martha, for allowing me and other popover aficionados a forum to share our enjoyment of the sublime enjoyment of the humble, yet sublime, popover! 🙂

Thanks again – can’t wait to try this recipe again!

• Cary wrote:

You’re close. However, if I may: I learned from a gal who actually worked there a few secrets:

4 large eggs
    2 c whole milk
    2 c flour
    ½ t salt
    ¼ t baking soda

Beat the eggs for 3 minutes until mixture turns lemon yellow. Slowly dribble in 1 cup milk.
    Sift together flour and add salt and baking soda.
    Sift dry ingredients into to the eggs and milk.
    Dribble in remaining 1 cup milk.
    Strain batter and refrigerate up to three days.
    Bake at 425o for 15 minutes. Turn heat to 350o and bake for an additional 15 minutes.

Thank you so much for sharing Cary!

• denise comeau wrote:

You might want to check the recipe.There is a difference between baking soda and baking powder.Jordons calls for baking soda but you have listed baking powder.. mine is going into the oven and hope it comes out ok since I followed yours. If it doesnt then I know whats wrong,since I have made these quite a few times with differnt recipes and they are fabulous.

Thanks Donna – Will do. I will dig out the written recipe that came with popover pan as soon as we get home. (Fingers crossed too!)

• Jill wrote:

If the popovers didn’t puff up much, what did I do wrong? I have a popover pan with 12 “cups”. Do I bake a shorter time if I don’t have “big” popover pans. I used this recipe and it filled 11 of my 12 cups – filling them half full.

Hi Jill – It’s always so difficult to know what went wrong without being in the kitchen with you – but I will say that popovers in general are notoriously fussy! Yes – smaller popovers will take less time to bake. I’d check that your baking powder is fresh. Also, that the batter is room temperature before baking. Otherwise, I’m really guessing here…sorry I can’t be more help!