We cook a big Thanksgiving dinner every year for our extended family – with turkey, stuffing, gravy and cranberry sauce – all of the Thanksgiving classics! The leftovers can sometimes last for days – but that’s actually a very good thing, especially when it comes to these delicious Turkey & Stuffing Turnovers!
These turkey & stuffing turnovers are all about finding ways to use up those leftovers, and in fact, they are just like a delicious Thanksgiving dinner all rolled up into one delectable bite! Chunks of leftover turkey are layered inside squares of puff pastry along with leftover stuffing plus a spoonful of both gravy and cranberry sauce – then baked until golden brown and flaky. They are so simple to make – and very delicious!
You can really make these turnovers using any of your Thanksgiving meal leftovers – adding what we suggest here in the recipe – or other side dishes your family typically serves. Over the years, my husband Jack and I have played around with different filling combinations – sometimes including leftover roasted mashed sweet potatoes, butternut squash, or even adding some of our pearl onions in cream sauce. No matter what leftovers you use for the filling, we think a must-add ingredient is leftover cranberry sauce – the sweet-tart flavor adds a brightness to these turkey & stuffing turnovers that can’t be beat!
- 4 ounces cold leftover cooked turkey, chopped
- 4 ounces cold leftover stuffing, broken up
- 4 ounces cold leftover turkey gravy
- 4 ounces leftover cranberry sauce
- 1 17.2-ounce box (2 ready-to-bake) Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Sheets
- 1 egg
- Thaw both puff pastry sheets per box instructions for 40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 415 degrees.
- While pastry sheets are thawing, in a small bowl, mix turkey, stuffing, gravy and cranberry sauce. Mix just to incorporate the ingredients
- Once dough is thawed, take each sheet and cut into four squares, for a total of eight squares.
- Divide filling between the eight squares keeping the filling in a triangle to one side. One at a time, wet two sides around filling with a tiny dab of water with your finger. Lift the opposite unfilled corner and bring it to the filled corner to make a triangle over filling and pinch two corners together. Lift it up and cup it in your hand and gently pinch all sides closed. If the filling starts to squeeze out, push it back with a spoon or your finger. Repeat for all eight making sure they are tightly sealed and place on parchment lined sheet pan with tips slightly turned to each other making a “U” shape. (You will likely need two sheet pans to fit eight in the oven.)
- Mix egg with a teaspoon of water and with a pastry brush; brush the tops of each turnover.
- Place pans in the oven and bake until browned and puffed, somewhere between 15-25 minutes depending on your oven – rotating the pans halfway through the baking to ensure even cooking. (If you are cooking a smaller quantity and only have one sheet pan in the oven, reduce the cooking time.)
More Thanksgiving Leftover recipes: