Sweet potatoes are on the menu at our house all the time! Not only is this vegetable very delicious, but it’s also really good for you!
In fact, sweet potatoes are sometimes referred to as a ‘superfood’ because they are loaded with vitamins and nutrients that are believed to offer disease-preventing, cancer-fighting and immune-boosting benefits. Sweet potatoes are also a very versatile vegetable, so there are lots of ways to prepare them – and this recipe for Roasted Mashed Sweet Potatoes is one of our favorites!
The roasting process caramelizes the potatoes just enough to really bring out the depth of flavor along with the other seasonings. We seasoned our Roasted Mashed Sweet Potatoes simply – with thyme, salt and pepper, plus some butter. But you can try swapping in other herbs and seasonings to suit your own tastes.
We hope you enjoy your sweet potatoes as much as we do!Print
A delicious way to prepare mashed potatoes using roasted sweet potatoes.
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1” square chunks
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme (or ½ teaspoon dry thyme)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- A few grinds of black pepper
- 2 tablespoon butter
- ¼ cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place cut potatoes, olive oil, white wine, thyme, salt and pepper in a bowl and toss to coat. Pour onto a sheet pan.
- Roast for 30 minutes, then turn and roast for 15-20 minutes more or until potatoes are tender.
- Heat butter and milk in microwave until milk is hot and butter is melted.
- In a large bowl, add potatoes and milk mixture and mash with a potato masher.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
This post was originally published on A Family Feast in November 2012.
You may also like: