If you’ve been a regular reader of A Family Feast, then you might already know that risotto holds a place near and dear to my husband Jack’s and my heart! Although we have our favorite risotto recipes, we do like to experiment by adding new flavors and ingredients – and this Sweet Potato Risotto is so delicious, it’s destined to become a new favorite of ours!
This sweet potato risotto follows our basic risotto recipe – plus the addition of roasted and caramelized sweet potato and shallots. The finished dish is super creamy with a mild and wonderful, slightly sweet flavor.
This sweet potato risotto is the perfect complement to our delicious and robust Steak au Poivre with Crispy Shallots (also known as peppercorn steak) – part of a perfect menu for any special occasion!Print
- 1 sweet potato (about one pound), peeled and cut into ¼ inch dice
- 1/3 cup chopped shallots
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoon melted butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- ½ cup white wine
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a small baking pan place diced potato, shallots, 2 tablespoons of the oil, 1 tablespoon of the butter, garlic, salt and pepper. Mix around and bake for 10 minutes. Flip mixture and bake for another 10 minutes.
- While potato is cooking, in a medium pot, add last tablespoon of oil and butter and heat over medium high. Add rice and cook, moving rice around for 2-3 minutes, but do not brown. Add wine and stir. Reduce heat to medium to medium low. When wine has evaporated, begin adding stock one quarter cup at a time, waiting until each addition evaporates before adding the next. Do not let rice get completely dry before adding each quarter cup.
- Once the sweet potato is cooked, add to rice (at any stage of cooking) and continue cooking rice until all of the stock is gone and rice is cooked but not mushy. Remove from heat and stir in Parmesan and parsley. Cover and let sit 3-5 minutes until the rice is fully cooked and the texture is creamy. Adjust seasoning and serve.
You may also like: