Ever since we published our recipe earlier this year for Mexican Pulled Chicken, as well as all of the various recipes you can make using pulled chicken (see here, here, and here), we’ve had a number of readers comment or email us, asking if we had beef versions of those recipes.
Happily – the answer is yes! And today’s recipe for Mexican Shredded Beef is the first of several that we will share over the next few days using this versatile and delicious recipe! This Mexican shredded beef is an adapted version of the one that my husband Jack made many years ago, when he worked at the popular Edgewater Café, in Magnolia, Massachusetts. At the restaurant, they used pressure cookers to cook the beef, but our version is cooked low-and-slow in the oven, making it a recipe that anyone can make at home!
And I’ve got to say – the smells filling the house when this Mexican shredded beef is cooking in the oven is pretty amazing! First a layer of sliced onions and peppers is placed in the bottom of a baking dish which serves as a bed for the beef. Then a wet rub made with tomato paste, honey, spice, chili sauce and our popular Rocket Fuel (or your favorite hot sauce) is slathered over the beef before it is cooked. Roast in the oven for about 3 to 3 ½ hours and your Mexican shredded beef will be fork tender and ready to shred!
And coming up later this week, we’ll be sharing some more great recipes that use this Mexican shredded beef including Beef and Bean Enchiladas, and Beef Chimichangas – plus a fabulous homemade Enchilada Sauce that you won’t want to miss!
Note: We have received some reader questions asking if this Mexican Shredded Beef can be made in a slow cooker. The answer is yes – however, we found that the best results came from cooking the beef in the oven as written in this recipe.)Print
Mexican Shredded Beef
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 3 hours
- Total Time: 3 hours 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- ½ large onion peeled and cut into large slices
- ½ large red bell pepper seeded and cut into large slices
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Agave Nectar or honey
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon Rocket Fuel, or your favorite hot sauce
- ½ teaspoon Sriracha chili sauce
- 2 ½ pounds chuck roast
- 1 cup beef stock
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- In a 9×13-inch glass baking dish or roasting pan, lay sliced onions and peppers on bottom.
- Mix tomato paste, Agave or honey, all the dried spices, Rocket Fuel and the chili sauce. Smear all over beef and set beef over peppers and onions. Pour the beef stock around the sides of the beef.
- Cover with parchment paper and then foil, sealing tight.
- Roast in over for three hours or until fork tender. Check after three hours and cook for another 30 minutes if not falling apart tender.
- With two forks, shred meat and mix with all liquid, cooked onions and cooked peppers.
- Use as a filling for a variety of Mexican or Southwestern-inspired dishes.
You may also like: