As you might imagine, Jack and I keep a fairly well-stocked pantry and refrigerator full of ingredients at our house. That has been even more the case ever since we started A Family Feast a few years ago.
Over time, we’ve identified a running list of items that we always keep on hand for those days when recipe inspiration strikes for our blog – but having some core supplies on hand is helpful for anyone who wants to get a quick meal on the table for your family.
Today’s Creamy Tortellini and Chicken with Sun-Dried Tomatoes is a recipe made with ingredients we always have on hand: a bag of dry tortellini (or, fresh tortellini can be stored in the freezer), a jar of sun-dried tomatoes, fresh button mushrooms, garlic, shallots or onions, Parmesan cheese, heavy cream – and, of course, boneless chicken breasts, white wine, and fresh herbs.
The prep for our Creamy Tortellini and Chicken with Sun-Dried Tomatoes is quick and easy too! While the pasta cooks, sauté bite-sized pieces of chicken until golden brown in the flavorful oil from a jar of sun-dried tomatoes. Then make a creamy mushroom sauce with the rest of the ingredients and toss at all together to create one fantastic meal!
We used fresh sage in today’s dish – and the sage perfectly complements the flavors of the sun-dried tomatoes in this creamy delicious pasta. Fresh basil or rosemary would also be delicious alternatives – use whatever you have on hand!
From start to finish, this Creamy Tortellini and Chicken with Sun-Dried Tomatoes dinner will be on your table in about 40 minutes. (If you use fresh tortellini instead of dried – it will take even less time!)
Interested in more chicken recipes?
Click here for our 100+ Best Chicken Recipes.
Note: *Reserve 2 tablespoons of the oil from the jar of sun-dried tomatoes.
- 8 ounces dry cheese tortellini (or one pound fresh tortellini may be used)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons of the oil from a jar of sundried tomatoes*
- 2 pounds skinless boneless chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- ½ cup shallots, cut into half circles
- 12-ounce package button mushrooms, sliced
- 1½ tablespoons fresh garlic, minced
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh chopped sage, divided
- 1½ cups oil packed sun-dried tomatoes drained, coarsely chopped (about one 16-ounce jar*)
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup white wine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Additional salt and pepper as needed to taste
- Put a large pot of water on to boil and once boiling, add the teaspoon of kosher salt.
- Then add in the dry tortellini and cook to slightly less than al dente. If you are using fresh, the tortellini will cook in far less time than the dry. Time it so whichever you use, it will finish cooking close to the end of the dish.
- In a large skillet or sauté pan over high heat, add two tablespoons of the oil from the sun-dried tomato jar. Once hot, add chicken and brown on both sides. Do not cook through. Center should still be pink. Slide all contents from the pan onto a platter including any liquid in the pan.
- Lower the heat to medium high and add one tablespoon of the olive oil.
- Once hot, add shallots and cook two minutes.
- Add the remaining oil.
- Add mushrooms and cook three minutes.
- Add garlic, ¼ cup of the sage, drained sun-dried tomatoes and black pepper and cook two minutes.
- Add wine and cook about one minute to evaporate.
- Add the cream, stir and add the chicken including all juices.
- Add the Parmesan, stir and taste.
- Add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Drain the tortellini and add to the pan with the chicken and toss and cook about one minute or until the mixture has thickened. Try not to cook longer so that the chicken stays tender.
- Add in the remaining sage and serve.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
You may also like: