Peach Butter is simple to make, perfect for canning, and a delicious way to enjoy summer peach flavor all year long!

Peach Butter

Last week I spotted some gorgeous peaches at the market and – a bit on impulse – ended up buying a huge box of those beauties to bring home!

Peaches have been perfectly sweet this year – and we’ve been grilling and poaching them, as well as adding them to our favorite fresh peach smoothie recipe! But all the while, I knew that I would be making a batch of this sweet and spicy Peach Butter so we could enjoy sweet summertime flavor long after peach season is over!

I’m excited to cook with these beauties today! ? #summer #homemade #peaches #nofilter

A photo posted by Martha & Jack (@afamilyfeast) on

This peach butter recipe is from the same farm that our popular apple crisp recipe was originally found, and it is very easy to make!  Simply peel and pit the peaches before puréeing them in a food processor. Then sweeten the purée with granulated sugar and reduce the mixture on the stove until thickened. Once the purée is reduced, stir in some cinnamon, ginger and allspice – and let cool.

Peach Butter

This recipe makes a good-sized batch of peach butter which can be canned in smaller jars. Then all year long, you can enjoy this peach butter over ice cream, spread on buttered toast, spooned over pork chops – or eaten straight out of the jar!

Adapted from the Tougas Family Farm Cookbook which you can find online here

You may like these other Peach recipes:

clock clock iconcutlery cutlery iconflag flag iconfolder folder iconinstagram instagram iconpinterest pinterest iconfacebook facebook iconprint print iconsquares squares iconheart heart iconheart solid heart solid icon
Peach Butter - A Family Feast

Peach Butter

• Total Time: 1 hour
  • Yield: 4 pints

• 2024 peaches (depending on the size) – enough to give you 8 cups of peach puree
  • 4 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • ½ teaspoon ginger
  • ½ teaspoon allspice

1. Peel and pit the peaches, then puree in a food processor. You’ll want a total of 8 cups (2 quarts) of peach puree.
  2. Pour puree into a large, heavy bottomed pot and add sugar. Over medium heat, bring peach mixture to a boil, stirring frequently to prevent sticking and scorching. Boil until the mixture is thickened and reduced by about one third (again, stirring to prevent sticking and scorching) – for us this took about 20-25 minutes.
  3. Remove the thickened puree from the heat and stir in the spices, mixing evenly.
  4. If canning, pour into clean, sterilized canning jars and process for 10 minutes using the water bath canning method.
  5. Any un-canned peach butter should be stored covered in the refrigerator for up to a week.

Peach Butter

Peach Butter

Disclosure
Featured in this Peach Butter post

Recipe rating

Comments

• Jeanne Smith wrote:

Great recipe! Defiantly one to save. Very easy recipe to follow

Thanks Jeanne! Glad you enjoyed it!

• LeighAnna Yoder wrote:

I noticed in the comments to questions to one person Martha answered that she only cans the peach butter but never freezes it. But then to someone else the reply from Martha was that she only freezes it and hasn’t tried canning it. I’m confused. Are different people answering for Martha?? I just canned several jars according to the canning recipe recommendations so I hope it will be shelf stable.

Hi Leigh Anna – Someone probably replied to my original comment about canning. We’ve only canned it – and it lasts nicely – but it sounds like another reader froze hers instead. Hope that helps!

• LeighAnna Yoder wrote:

I canned 14 jars of this tonight for the first time. It was amazing!!! I added vanilla like another commenter. Mine ended up browning a lot more than what yours looks like here but the taste was so delicious. I shared the recipe with friends because it’s easy and we live in peach country! Thank you for a great recipe. Will definitely be keeping this one.

Glad you enjoyed the recipe LeighAnna!

• June Blackwell wrote:

Thank for sharing this recipe I’m making it for the my first time and hopefully it will be tasty !

We hope you love the peach butter June!

• Lela wrote:

Can’t wait to make it. I used nearly the same method to make mango butter in Costa Rica. I took down jars and lids and brought the full jars home on the plane! (In the checked luggage, not carry-on.)

Hope you love the recipe Lela!

• Robin wrote:

I made this yesterday and it is wonderful! It tastes like peach pie in a jar! The only thing I changed was that I added a tsp of vanilla, ’cause I add vanilla to everything sweet! Thank you for sharing!

Great suggestion Robin!

• Kay wrote:

Can you use frozen peach’s to make this recipe. It’s hard for us to get good fresh peaches.

Yes – you can use frozen peaches.

• susan wrote:

Hi, can this peach butter be canned for an extended shelf life?

Hi Susan – We haven’t tested canning this peach butter ourselves, so I can’t say for sure if it is safe to do so. We froze our extra peach butter in small zipper seal bags and thawed as needed. Hope that helps!

• Jane wrote:

Martha would you possibly have a recipe for “Grape Butter”. My Mother have me the recipe years ago , I loved it but misplaced it. I remember you added cinnamon and cloves to each jar but don’t remember how much. Thank You.

• Polly wrote:

This peach butter is fantastic!! I made it a few weeks ago and gave a jar to my sister and daughter. We all absolutely loved it. I will be making this again, for sure!!

Thanks Polly! So glad you all enjoyed the recipe!