- 20–24 peaches (depending on the size) – enough to give you 8 cups of peach puree
- 4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- Peel and pit the peaches, then puree in a food processor. You’ll want a total of 8 cups (2 quarts) of peach puree.
- Pour puree into a large, heavy bottomed pot and add sugar. Over medium heat, bring peach mixture to a boil, stirring frequently to prevent sticking and scorching. Boil until the mixture is thickened and reduced by about one third (again, stirring to prevent sticking and scorching) – for us this took about 20-25 minutes.
- Remove the thickened puree from the heat and stir in the spices, mixing evenly.
- If canning, pour into clean, sterilized canning jars and process for 10 minutes using the water bath canning method.
- Any un-canned peach butter should be stored covered in the refrigerator for up to a week.