Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon - A simple and super flavorful recipe! Perfect side dish for a special holiday meal.

This recipe for Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon is dedicated to anyone out there who is convinced that they don’t like Brussels sprouts!  I’ve been right there with you – convinced myself that Brussels sprouts were one of those vegetables that I didn’t (and couldn’t possibly) like!

The first time I had Brussels sprouts, they were mushy (boiled or steamed – I can’t really remember) – and they didn’t smell very appetizing!  And for the life of me, I couldn’t understand why some people raved about them!

Then – I joined the ranks of Brussels sprouts lovers! The trick is to roast them in the oven at a high enough temperature that they caramelize and get golden and crispy on the outside, and tender (but not mushy) on the inside.  And – since pretty much everything is better with bacon – we cooked our oven roasted Brussels sprouts with bacon, giving the sprouts even more delicious flavor!

These oven roasted Brussels sprouts are super easy to prepare and make a delicious side dish alongside steak, or even lamb.  Any leftovers are delicious added to salads as well!

Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon - A Family Feast

Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon

• Total Time: 35 minutes

• pounds Brussels sprouts
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 6 bacon slices, cut into 1 inch pieces

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Clean and trim Brussels sprouts and cutting any very large heads in half through the core. (It’s fine if some of the outer leaves fall off – just bake those along with the rest of the sprouts. They get extra crispy and are delicious!)
  3. Place the Brussels sprouts in a large bowl and drizzle with olive oil, tossing to evenly coat.
  4. Pour the Brussels sprouts onto a large sheet pan (you want them to be in a single layer). Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Then evenly sprinkle the bacon pieces over the Brussels sprouts.
  5. Roast in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes, turning halfway through the cooking time, until golden and lightly caramelized.
  6. Serve immediately.

Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Mustard and Shallots

Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Mustard and Shallots - A Family Feast

Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Kale and Boursin Cheese

Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Kale and Boursin Cheese - A Family Feast

Farro with Butternut Squash and Baby Kale

Farro with Butternut Squash & Baby Kale - A Family Feast

Comments

• Jenn Squire wrote:

My husband and I are trying to include more veggies In our diet. This sounds like a great way to try brussel sprouts for the first time.

We hope you love the recipe Jenn!

• Linda Tompkins wrote:

Delicious!

• Darryl Alder wrote:

I have converted my family to sprouts caramelizing them on the stove top with bacon and a balsamic reduction, but that takes some attention. Today I will make them this way for my grown daughter who has requested them.

Hope your family loves the recipe Darryl!

• Jennifer Li wrote:

This was a big hit tonight! I used 4 slices of bacon instead of 6 and mixed in 1 tbsp of minced garlic.

Glad you enjoyed the recipe Jennifer! (Yes – you can always add more bacon and other seasonings if you’d like!)

• Kim Quinn wrote:

Oh. My. Goodness! I have roasted them for a long while now, usually with olive oil, garlic and lemon juice and zest. With or without onion, depending on mood. Making these as soon as my roasted sheet of tossed fennel, onion and garlic exits the oven. I have peppered bacon, too. Thank youuu!!!

You’re very welcome Kim – hope you love the recipe!

• Alan Perry wrote:

I made this for Thanksgiving and everyone loved it, so now I’m doing it again for Christmas. So good, (and easy)!

So glad you all enjoyed the recipe Alan! Merry Christmas!

• Brian Murphy wrote:

We roast brussel sprouts w/ bacon and shallot every year for the holidays (Xmas and Thanksgiving primarily). One suggestion for you, if you’re open to ideas, try using rendered duck fat to roast them in. Soooooooooooo good 🙂

Wow Brian – That does sound good! Thanks for the suggestion!

• Freeda wrote:

This is a wonderful dish! My daughter brought it for our Thanksgiving dinner, and everyone raved about it!

Thank you Freeda! So glad you all enjoyed the recipe!

• Jennifer M wrote:

This looks great! Thank you for sharing your recipe. May I add Chicken Broth and Minced Garlic to the dish before baking in the oven? I’m making them for Thanksgiving tomorrow 🙂

Hi Jennifer – I wouldn’t recommend adding chicken broth to get the same caramelized and crispy results you see in our photos. The sprouts will steam and get soft with the added broth instead of roasting – but it’s really up to you. Adding minced garlic should be fine to do. Enjoy!

• Hanna wrote:

Did you use fresh or frozen brussel sprouts or does it matter?

Hi Hanna – We recommend fresh Brussels sprouts for this recipe. I’ve actually never cooked with frozen sprouts so I’m not sure if the texture will be the same as when cooking with fresh.

• Debbie wrote:

Can I reheat these in a slow cooker?

Hi Debbie – I wouldn’t recommend it – the sprouts will end up steaming and get mushy. If want or need to make them ahead and then reheat, I’d recommend sauteeing them for a few minutes in a large skillet with some bacon fat or oil. That way the sprouts will still have some crispy caramelization when served.

• Rosie wrote:

I had never tried Brussels sprouts before…i also thought there was no way i could possibly like them. I don’t like cabbage and they looked like baby size cabbages. So i assumed if they look like pocket size cabbages then they surely are as yucky as cabbage. Well, i was SO wrong! A former coworker made this recipe for a Christmas potluck at work and i decided to try it, i figured the bacon would help me get past the cabbage like taste. After the first bite i was so surprised at the flavor and i ended up asking my coworker if i could take home the leftovers. We laughed together and she was glad i liked it so much. Since then i eat Brussels sprouts every chance i can, i even crave them. I am working on my kids to like them through this recipe 😀

Yay Rosie! So glad we were able to turn you into a Brussels sprout lover! 🙂 Thanks for writing to us today!

• Hayley wrote:

I made this dish the other night. Only thing diffrent I did was add a little bit of garlic then some pamersan cheese on top towards the end. It was SO good. Next time I’m going to cook it with some chicken breast. Thanks for sharing.

Sounds delicious Hayley – great suggestion!

• Tony wrote:

Hi Martha,
    Tried the brusssel sprouts with bacon. What is not to like about this dish?! Went to the local market and hand picked the sprouts so they were all the same size. Followed your cook time and they came out perfect. Thank you for posting!
    Tony

You’re very welcome Tony! So glad you enjoyed this recipe as much as we do! Thanks for taking the time to write to us.

• Jen wrote:

Wow just wow. This was so simple and really delicious. I made them with very fresh brussel sprouts and thick cut bacon. I loved all the crispy leaves that fell off. Yum. I’m making it again tomorrow.

Thanks Jen – we’re very glad you enjoyed the recipe! (It’s one of my favorites!)

• Alicia wrote:

made this last night, added fresh minced garlic to it and Cajun seasoning and it was delicious! left it in longer than the recipe called for bc I was busy doing other stuff and the outer edges were dark, but still delicious and crispy. will definitely be making this recipe again!!!

Thanks Alicia – The Cajun seasoning sounds great!

• Renee T. wrote:

Made your recipe for our Christmas Dinner yesterday, and it was delicious. My crew likes things extra crispy, so I preheated the sheetpan while the oven was heating, and I roasted the sprouts and bacon for 45 minutes, turning every 15 to get things well caramelized. Everyone loved them; even the children! Great recipe! Thanks for posting!

You’re very welcome Renee! We’re so glad the entire family enjoyed the recipe! (Always great when even the kids like eating veggies!) 🙂

• dil wrote:

Thank you for this recipe! Living in Romania, we didn’t eat Brussel sprouts growing up, so for me it’s an acquired taste (all those American/British/Australian cooking shows and movies where people turned their noses up at the boiled, mushy sprouts weren’t very encouraging either), but I really liked the combination of caramelized Brussel sprouts and bacon. I also added a touch of balsamic vinegar to cut through the bitterness and it worked perfectly. 🙂

You’re very welcome! So glad you enjoyed the recipe! Adding balsamic vinegar is a great addition!

• stacy wrote:

Making these now, have 15 mins on the timer. Used garlic salt instead of plain salt. They smell yummy!

Hope you enjoyed the recipe Stacy!

• Deanna wrote:

Making these today to take to my family’s for Thanksgiving. Your content is amazing.

Thank you so much Deanna! We hope you and your family enjoy the recipe! Have a great holiday!