Juicy, flavorful burgers topped with sauce and cheese and served on an Italian roll…you’re going to LOVE these Chicken Parmesan Burgers!
These easy Chicken Parmesan Burgers are a great weekday meal option when schedules are tight. From start-to-finish, they come together in just thirty minutes – so your hungry family won’t need to wait long for a delicious family dinner.
This recipe is also a great option for a game day menu. The burgers all cook together on a sheet pan in the oven – so you can make as many or few as you plan to serve all at once.
The burgers taste similar to your favorite Chicken Parmesan entree – just served as a burger instead!
Key ingredients and Substitutions
- Ground chicken – Chose the 93/7 fat content so the burgers cook up nice and moist. (Anything leaner than 93/7 will cook up dry.) Ground turkey can also be used in this recipe.
- Italian-inspired mix-ins – You’ll mix the ground chicken with a variety of Italian flavors including chopped roasted red peppers, shredded mozzarella cheese, grated Parmesan cheese, finely-chopped sweet onion, freshly minced garlic, Italian flat leaf parsley, Italian-style breadcrumbs and a mix of dry seasonings.
- Marinara sauce – Make a homemade marinara following our recipe here, or buy jarred. You can also use a classic Italian tomato sauce or even a pizza sauce if you prefer.
- Parmesan cheese – Buy the aged chunks of Parmesan cheese, cut from a wheel and grate it yourself. You can also use freshly-grated Romano cheese.
- Fresh mozzarella cheese – Buy already-sliced mozzarella cheese from the supermarket deli or prepackaged in the dairy section. (We did not use the wetter mozzarella balls for today’s recipe.)
- Italian rolls – Use your favorite crusty Italian split roll for serving your Chicken Parmesan Burgers.
Special supplies needed
- Large bowl – to combine the meat mixture.
- Sheet tray – to cook the chicken burger patties in the oven. Line it with foil for easy clean-up.
How do I make Chicken Parmesan Burgers?
- Combine the meat in a large bowl, being careful not to over-work the mixture.
- Form into patties and lay them out on the prepared sheet pan.
- Bake the patties in a hot oven to cook through.
- Top with a spoonful of the sauce, a sprinkle of Parmesan, and a slice or two of mozzarella cheese. Bake again to melt the cheese.
- Spoon some sauce onto the bottom of the Italian roll. Place a cooked burger on the roll and add more sauce if you’d like. Place the top of the roll on the burger and enjoy.
Chef’s Tip –
This recipe easily doubles to make eight burgers.
Frequently asked Questions
- Can I make Chicken Parmesan Burgers ahead? The burgers can be made ahead and refrigerated, then cooked when ready.
- Can I freeze the burgers? Sure. We suggest forming the burger mixture into patties, then wrap them individually in plastic wrap. Lay flat on a small tra to freeze. Once firm, you can place the burgers in a freezer bag and thaw as needed.
You might like these other burger recipes:
- Chicken Cakes
- Perfect Grilled Burgers
- Zesty Salmon Burgers with Dill Spread
- Crab Cakes
- Sweet Potato Spinach and Bacon Turkey Burgers
1 pound 93/7 ground chicken or turkey
¼ cup finely chopped jarred roasted red peppers, drained
¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
¼ cup finely minced sweet onion
1 teaspoon finely minced fresh garlic
¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat leaf Italian parsley
½ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dry basil
1 teaspoon dry oregano
¼ cup Italian breadcrumbs
¾ cup marinara sauce, see here or jarred, heated
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
8 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
4 large bulkie rolls, or your favorite Italian sliced roll
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and line a small sheet tray with foil.
In a large bowl, place the ground chicken or turkey along with the chopped peppers, shredded mozzarella, onion, garlic, Parmesan, parsley, salt, pepper, basil, oregano and bread crumbs.
Gently mix until all ingredients are incorporated. Try not to over mix.
Form into four even patties and press a dimple into the center of each with your thumb.
Spray the foil lined pan with kitchen pan spray and place the four patties divot side down then spray the tops.
Bake for eight minutes then using a probe thermometer, check the center temperature. Once it reaches 145 degrees F, spoon two tablespoons of hot marinara sauce over each burger, divide the Parmesan over the tops then finally lay two slices of the fresh mozzarella cheese over each and place back into the oven.
While the burgers cook and the cheese melts, spoon one tablespoon of hot marinara sauce over the bottom of each roll.
Check the burger internal temperature and remove at 160 degrees F and place on the prepared rolls.
Add the top roll and serve.
Keywords: Chicken Parmesan Burger