This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Turkey burgers sometimes get a bad rap for being bland and dry – but not ours! These delicious Sweet Potato Spinach and Bacon Turkey Burgers are moist and delicious and full of fantastic flavor!
These filling, satisfying burgers are a blend of lean ground turkey, cooked and shredded sweet potato, onions, garlic, and fresh baby spinach – plus some chopped bacon and seasonings for added flavor.
Form the mixture into patties, then cook these Sweet Potato Spinach and Bacon Turkey Burgers on a hot grill pan or in a cast iron skillet. (That little bit of char on the burgers adds even more great flavor!) These Sweet Potato Spinach and Bacon Turkey Burgers are super moist and delicious, and this recipe is guaranteed to become a new family favorite.
In our recipe below, we also include a wonderful sauce that is the perfect complement to these Sweet Potato Spinach and Bacon Turkey Burgers. It comes together quickly with ingredients you probably have on hand: mayonnaise, hamburger relish, yellow mustard, spicy brown mustard and garlic powder. Simply mix and spoon over your burger, or slather on your burger roll. (Or both! 😉 )
P.S. We have to thank our oldest daughter Courtney for inspiring this recipe! Courtney and her family eat a ‘clean’ diet – and if you make these Sweet Potato Spinach and Bacon Turkey Burgers using uncured bacon (as well as skip the sauce and the roll) the burgers alone can be Whole30 compliant.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 4 slices uncooked bacon, chopped small (use uncured bacon if you want to make this recipe Whole30 compliant)
- ¼ cup onion, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, finely minced
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound ground turkey (not ground turkey breast)
- 6 poppy seed bulky rolls
- Romaine lettuce for each sandwich
- Sliced tomato for each sandwich
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup hamburger relish (this relish is red in color)
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon spicy brown mustard
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Place the two sweet potatoes in a microwave and cook on high for five minutes. They will still be partially raw. Cool and peel then shred on the large holes of a box grater. This should yield two cups. Place this in a medium mixing bowl to cool.
- While potatoes are cooking, spray a medium sauté pan with pan spray and add chopped bacon. Sauté for just three minutes then add onion.
- Sauté for two minutes then add garlic and spinach and sauté just until the spinach wilts, about another minute or two.
- Cool this mixture to at least room temperature or cooler.
- Once the onion mixture is cool, add to the bowl with the potato along with the salt, pepper and ground turkey. Mix to incorporate ingredients.
- Form into six equal patties with wet hands.
- Heat a ribbed grill pan over medium high heat and spray with kitchen pan spray.
- Once hot, add the six patties and cook about 2-3 minutes per side or until cooked through. You should not eat turkey burgers with any uncooked centers but not overcook and dried out. Cook just until the center is no longer pink.
- While burgers are cooking, mix all sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- To assemble, slather sauce on both sides of each cut roll, top with a burger, lettuce and tomato.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
You may also like: