- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 4 slices uncooked bacon, chopped small (use uncured bacon if you want to make this recipe Whole30 compliant)
- ¼ cup onion, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, finely minced
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound ground turkey (not ground turkey breast)
- 6 poppy seed bulky rolls
- Romaine lettuce for each sandwich
- Sliced tomato for each sandwich
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup hamburger relish (this relish is red in color)
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon spicy brown mustard
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Place the two sweet potatoes in a microwave and cook on high for five minutes. They will still be partially raw. Cool and peel then shred on the large holes of a box grater. This should yield two cups. Place this in a medium mixing bowl to cool.
- While potatoes are cooking, spray a medium sauté pan with pan spray and add chopped bacon. Sauté for just three minutes then add onion.
- Sauté for two minutes then add garlic and spinach and sauté just until the spinach wilts, about another minute or two.
- Cool this mixture to at least room temperature or cooler.
- Once the onion mixture is cool, add to the bowl with the potato along with the salt, pepper and ground turkey. Mix to incorporate ingredients.
- Form into six equal patties with wet hands.
- Heat a ribbed grill pan over medium high heat and spray with kitchen pan spray.
- Once hot, add the six patties and cook about 2-3 minutes per side or until cooked through. You should not eat turkey burgers with any uncooked centers but not overcook and dried out. Cook just until the center is no longer pink.
- While burgers are cooking, mix all sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- To assemble, slather sauce on both sides of each cut roll, top with a burger, lettuce and tomato.