This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
For any homemade pizza, the sauce is a key contributor to how it tastes – so it’s very important that you choose a pizza sauce that is delicious and distinctive!
Our Roasted Tomato Pizza Sauce really fits the bill! Fresh Roma tomatoes are roasted in the oven along with onions, garlic, anchovies (you can leave that out if you prefer) and a collection of herbs and other seasonings including oregano, basil, mint, marjoram and red pepper flakes. Then the roasted tomatoes are processed in a food mill and combined with tomato paste, butter and parmesan cheese to complete the sauce.
Don’t be fooled into thinking that this roasted tomato pizza sauce is difficult to make. It’s really quite easy because all of the cooking is done in the oven during the initial roasting process! Roasting the tomatoes really intensifies the flavors because most of the moisture evaporates leaving behind a rich and super delicious tomato flavor unlike anything you’ve had before!
Use this roasted tomato pizza sauce on any tomato-based pizza, like our Pizza Margherita. Top with mozzarella and Fontina cheeses and your favorite toppings – and we predict you’ll be in pizza heaven!
- 4 pounds Roma tomatoes, or other ripe tomato
- ½ cup diced onions
- 1 anchovy filet from a can (optional)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint minced
- ¼ teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dry marjoram
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar (honey may be substituted)
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut each Roma tomato in half the long way. If using other tomato types, use a tomato corer (like this one here) and remove core and discard. Then cut them in half from top to bottom.
- In a large bowl place tomato halves, diced onion, optional anchovy filet, garlic, oregano, basil, mint, pepper flakes, marjoram, salt and oil. Toss to combine then pour out onto a sheet pan. Arrange tomato halves cut side up and roast uncovered for one hour. Remove from oven, flip tomatoes and roast for 30 more minutes.
- (Note: different tomato varieties have different water content. The above step should be monitored. You are looking for a good deal of the water content to evaporate but not burn the tomatoes)
- Using a food mill (like this one), process the cooked tomatoes and all liquid through the mill, discarding seeds and skin left in the mill.
- To the pureed tomatoes, add the tomato paste, agave nectar, onion powder, butter and parmesan cheese. Stir to combine and adjust seasoning. Use on your favorite pizza or freeze in small plastic bags for later use.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
You may also like: