This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
We’re getting our menu ready for Cinco de Mayo, and these Chicken Enchiladas with White Sauce are up first! This easy to prepare meal is always a hit with our family and we’re sure your family will love this too!
This recipe for chicken enchiladas with a creamy white sauce uses our popular Mexican pulled chicken recipe – a versatile, easy and delicious way to prepare chicken for many Mexican-inspired recipes such as this one. The Mexican pulled chicken is perfectly flavored with a spicy blend of tomato and peppers as well as other seasonings, and it’s cooked until fork-tender and then shredded.
And, as you can tell by the name of this recipe, our version of chicken enchiladas uses a white sauce that has the perfect hint of heat rather than the more traditional red enchilada sauce. But while our family prefers a creamy white sauce for this dish, you can easily substitute red sauce instead and these chicken enchiladas will still be delicious!
Interested in more chicken recipes?
Click here for our 100+ Best Chicken Recipes.
- ¼ cup butter (4 tablespoons)
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups chicken stock, heated
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne powder
- 8 ounces sour cream
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 ounce can chopped green chilies, drained
- 1 teaspoon or more of Rocket Fuel, or your favorite hot sauce
- 1 cup vegetable oil, for frying
- 6 corn tortillas
- 1 pound Mexican Pulled Chicken, heated
- 6 ounces Pepper Jack cheese, shredded
- 6 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, melt butter and add flour. Stir and cook for 3-5 minutes or until the raw flour smell is gone.
- Add heated chicken stock 1/3 at a time, stirring with a wire whisk for each third. (This step will ensure no lumps in your white sauce.) Add cayenne and stir again.
- Add sour cream, salt, chilies and Rocket Fuel and stir. If you like it spicy, use more Rocket Fuel. Remove from heat and hold.
- In an 8×10-inch casserole dish or glass baking dish, coat the bottom with a ladle full of white sauce.
- Heat oil in large fry pan to hot. With a pair of tongs, place one tortilla in at a time and fry for only 5 seconds on each side and drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining 5 corn tortillas. (This step is necessary so that the tortillas don’t get soggy and fall apart when the dish is cooked; it also makes them more pliable to roll.)
- Lay tortillas flat on your cutting board or counter and divide the Mexican Pulled Chicken and Pepper Jack cheese between all six and roll each one tight.
- Place each roll, seam side down, in the sauce lying side by side.
- Cover with all the remaining sauce and sprinkle all of the Monterey Jack cheese on top. (If this seems like a lot of sauce and cheese, it isn’t. The finished dish will come out with the perfect amount of sauce.)
- Bake for 40 minutes. Let set for 10 minutes before serving.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
You may also like these other recipes for your Cinco de Mayo menu: