This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Years ago, back when my husband Jack worked at a popular Boston-area Mexican restaurant, the dishes they prepared and served typically came with one of three sauces – a spicy white sauce (you can see that sauce used here and here), Salsa Verde or this delicious, red Enchilada Sauce.
This enchilada sauce is (in our opinion) so much better than any jarred enchilada sauce you might buy! And since it’s also very easy and quick to prepare – there’s no reason not to make this yourself at home!
This enchilada sauce is used in our recipes for Beef and Bean Enchiladas and our Beef Chimichangas, and being so versatile and delicious, you can use it in any Mexican-inspired recipe you might make. Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 medium garlic cloves chopped
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 14–ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon Rocket Fuel or your favorite hot sauce
- Sauté onions in oil over medium heat for 4 minutes or until translucent. Add garlic and sauté for one minute. Add tomato paste and sauté for an additional minute. Add all other ingredients and bring to a simmer and cook for about five minutes to blend flavors.
- With an emulsion blender or in a blender, puree until smooth.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
You may also like: