This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Interested in more chicken recipes? Click here for our 100+ Best Chicken Recipes.
- ¼ cup butter (4 tablespoons)
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups chicken stock, heated
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne powder
- 8 ounces sour cream
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 ounce can chopped green chilies, drained
- 1 teaspoon or more of Rocket Fuel, or your favorite hot sauce
- 1 cup vegetable oil, for frying
- 6 corn tortillas
- 1 pound Mexican Pulled Chicken, heated
- 6 ounces Pepper Jack cheese, shredded
- 6 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, melt butter and add flour. Stir and cook for 3-5 minutes or until the raw flour smell is gone.
- Add heated chicken stock 1/3 at a time, stirring with a wire whisk for each third. (This step will ensure no lumps in your white sauce.) Add cayenne and stir again.
- Add sour cream, salt, chilies and Rocket Fuel and stir. If you like it spicy, use more Rocket Fuel. Remove from heat and hold.
- In an 8×10-inch casserole dish or glass baking dish, coat the bottom with a ladle full of white sauce.
- Heat oil in large fry pan to hot. With a pair of tongs, place one tortilla in at a time and fry for only 5 seconds on each side and drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining 5 corn tortillas. (This step is necessary so that the tortillas don’t get soggy and fall apart when the dish is cooked; it also makes them more pliable to roll.)
- Lay tortillas flat on your cutting board or counter and divide the Mexican Pulled Chicken and Pepper Jack cheese between all six and roll each one tight.
- Place each roll, seam side down, in the sauce lying side by side.
- Cover with all the remaining sauce and sprinkle all of the Monterey Jack cheese on top. (If this seems like a lot of sauce and cheese, it isn’t. The finished dish will come out with the perfect amount of sauce.)
- Bake for 40 minutes. Let set for 10 minutes before serving.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.