I have to admit, I was never much of a fan of Refried Beans…until I tried this recipe!
This recipe for refried beans, developed by my husband Jack, is so flavorful thanks to a little bit of pancetta (I know – not a traditional Mexican ingredient – but it adds fantastic flavor!) that is sautéed with onions and garlic. Then a blend of chili powder, cumin, oregano and a little bit of Rocket Fuel (Jack’s recipe for homemade hot sauce) adds great spiciness and the perfect amount of heat to the beans. Finally, some fresh Roma tomato and cilantro add great freshness and brighten up the creamy beans.
These refried beans are so good – even if you weren’t a fan of refried beans before – you’ll love these!
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- ¼ pound pancetta, diced into small pieces
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- ¼ cup beef stock
- 2 cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon Rocket Fuel, or your favorite hot sauce
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, cook pancetta in canola oil. Cook pancetta until crisp.
- Add onion and sauté 3-5 minutes until onions become tender.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add in all other ingredients and cook five minutes.
- Puree half the mixture with an emulsion blender and cook 2 more minutes.
You may also like: