This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
- Vegetable or canola oil, for frying
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Maple syrup to serve with fritters
- In a heavy bottomed pan or cast iron skillet, add about three inches of oil. Heat to 350 degrees (use a candy thermometer to ensure you’re at the proper temperature). While the oil heats, prepare fritter batter as follows:
- In a medium bowl, sift flour, salt, and baking powder together. Add shredded zucchini and toss to coat.
- Combine milk, beaten egg and vanilla extract.
- Add wet ingredients to the bowl with the dry ingredients and stir just to combine.
- Using an ice cream scoop or ¼ cup measuring cup, drop fritters into hot oil in two batches. Make sure to heat the oil back up to 350 degrees between batches.
- As they cook, keep turning with a spider strainer or stainless steel heat-proof tongs until they have cooked for about three minutes. Remove one and break it open to check that it is cooked through. (If necessary, cook for a little longer until done.)
- Remove to paper towels and cook second batch.
- Serve with powdered sugar dusted over tops and maple syrup.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.