This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil, plus ¼ cup more only if needed
- 2 zucchini, cut into ½-inch dice (approximately 1 1/3 pounds)
- 2 onions, cut into ½-inch dice (approximately 2 ½ cups)
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped (approximately 3 tablespoons)
- 2 large red peppers, cut into ½-inch dice (approximately 2 ½ cups)
- 1 28-ounce can ground, peeled tomatoes (Pastene or Cento brands)
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 pound fresh, ripe plum tomatoes, cut into 1-inch dice
- 1½ to 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- ½ cup chopped fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley
- 1 15-ounce can dark red kidney beans, drained
- 1 15.5-ounce can garbanzo beans (chick peas), drained
- ¼ cup chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 scallions, sliced on the diagonal (white and green parts)
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, heat the olive oil. Add the diced zucchini and sauté 5 to 7 minutes or until just tender. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the zucchini to a large, heavy-bottomed dutch oven.
- In the same skillet you used to sauté the zucchini (there should be enough oil remaining in the pan, but if not add up to ¼ cup more olive oil) sauté onions, garlic and bell peppers for about 10 minutes or until just wilted. Pour the entire mixture into the dutch oven with the zucchini.
- Heat the dutch oven over low heat and add both kinds of canned tomatoes (including juices), fresh tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, basil, oregano, black pepper, salt, fennel seeds and fresh chopped parsley. Simmer uncovered for about 30 minutes, stirring frequently to avoid any sticking on the bottom of the pan.
- After the 30 mintues are up, add the kidney beans, garbanzo beans, chopped dill and lemon juice and cook for another 15 minutes. Stir well and adjust seasonings as needed to suit your tastes.
- Serve hot with sour cream, shredded Monterey Jack cheese and sliced scallions sprinkled on top.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.