This Small Batch Fig Jam recipe is easy and perfectly sweet. A wonderful way to cook with in-season figs.

Figs are one of my all-time favorite fruits! But unfortunately, living in New England where figs are not locally grown, it is often hard to find fresh figs.  And when we do find them, they are either very expensive or – being a highly perishable fruit – not of the greatest quality.

So I was extremely excited to walk into my local market last week – where I spotted a large display of fresh figs on sale for a great price. (If you see them too…buy some!) I grabbed a few pints and immediately started plotting to make this Small Batch Fig Jam recipe.

This Small Batch Fig Jam recipe makes a 1-cup jar of jam – perfect for a special treat. The jam is sweet but not too sweet, and the addition of lemon and thyme complements the flavors of the fig in a very delicious way!

This gorgeous fig jam is absolutely fantastic served on crostini with a sprinkle of bleu cheese (see note in our recipe below), spread on buttered toast or a bagel, spooned into some hot oatmeal, or used to make our Prosciutto and Fig Pizza with Arugula or these Prosciutto Rolls.

clock clock icon cutlery cutlery icon flag flag icon folder folder icon instagram instagram icon pinterest pinterest icon facebook facebook icon print print icon squares squares icon
Small Batch Fig Jam - A Family Feast

Small Batch Fig Jam

• Total Time: 50 minutes
  • Yield: 1 cup

Adapted from Cooking Light via MyRecipes.com

• 1 lemon
  • ¾ cup granulated sugar
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 1½ tablespoon lemon juice
  • 2 sprigs thyme
  • 1 pound ripe fresh Black Mission Figs, stemmed and quartered

1. For a very thick jam (as shown) simmer for the full 50 minutes. For a looser jam, simmer only for 40 minutes.
  2. Using a vegetable peeler, remove strips of rind from lemon, being careful not to include the white pith as you peel the strips.
  3. Place lemon rind strips and all other ingredients into a medium, heavy-bottomed saucepan. Stir to combine.
  4. Bring contents in the saucepan to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 40-50 minutes (*see note above) or until mixture thickens, continuing to stir frequently so the mixture doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot.
  5. Discard thyme stems and lemon peel. Pulse jam with an immersion blender to chop up the fig skins if desired.
  6. Pour into an 8-ounce jelly jar. Keep refrigerated for up to one month.
  7. This jam may also be canned in sterilized jars using the water bath method.

Notes

To make the crostini we show in our photos above, simply slice a baguette into diagonal slices. Toast until golden brown, then (optional) rub each slice with a clove of garlic that has been cut in half. Spread our Small Batch Fig Jam onto each slice, then top with crumbled bleu cheese.

Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.

Prosciutto and Fig Pizza with Arugula

Prosciutto and Fig Pizza with Arugula - A Family Feast

Prosciutto Rolls

prosciuttProsciutto Rolls - A Family Feasto_rolls

Fig Bar Cookies

Fig Bar Cookies - A Family Feast

Grape Nuts Pudding with Fig Sauce

Grapenut Pudding with Fig Sauce - A Family Feast

Comments

• Caryn wrote:

I actually would give this 4.5 stars–the 1/2 deficit because it was still a little too sweet for me, even though I cut the sugar by 1/4 cup. The blend of lemon and thyme was perfect! Quite tasty! Served it over brie with bruschetta slices–it was a hit at happy hour! Not a fig fan (my husband is the one) and first timer with fig recipes–will definitely make it again! Thank you, Martha!

Thanks for your feedback Caryn.

• Gina wrote:

I used 1/2 a 6oz lemon and the it completely overpowered any fig taste.

Hi Gina – Definitely sounds like you added too much lemon. Typically, you would squeeze the lemon juice, then measure it out and only add 1 1/2 tablespoons – not go by the weight of the lemon.

• Akshaya wrote:

Delicious! Thanks for this wonderful recipe! I didn’t have fresh thyme and thus used dry.

Thanks Akshaya!

• Mary wrote:

I’m in the middle of making your jam right now. You don’t say to cover the pot while simmering for 40-50 min., so I did not. Is that correct?

Hi Mary – That’s correct – no need to cover the pot as it simmers.

• atm wrote:

delicious wih sage instead of thyme / lemon

Thanks for the suggestion!

• Phil Sweet wrote:

The recipe is super simple! It’s even great if you exclude the lemon peals and thyme (I couldn’t taste much of a difference, so I don’t use them) Thanks so much for sharing. I, like Vince, have way too many fresh figs on my tree and they are just too sweet to be eating every day. I am curious if anyone has canned the jam, I’m new to the world of canning, and have only canned a few things. I am wondering what the processing time would be and if I need to add anything to bring the acidity up or if it’s already the right Ph to can. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Jack wrote:

We are by no means canning experts. We always refer readers to the Ball canning site for reference. https://www.freshpreserving.com/
      Canning is an exact science so in all cases, refer to a site that can offer sound canning advice.

• Helena wrote:

Really delicious! I even accidentally doubled the lemon and honey and still delightful. I used it to make italian-style almond thumbprint cookies and it went fabulously.

Ooo – great idea Helena!

• Charlotte wrote:

Absolutely incredible! I cannot make enough! I love it thick and leave the lemon peel (cut in smaller pieces) Thank you for sharing. My first time creating jam of any kind!

You’re welcome Charlotte! Glad you enjoyed the jam!

• LeeAnn wrote:

Perfectly delicious!! I followed the recipe exactly as written, and will do the same next time I have too many figs to eat!

So glad you enjoyed the jam LeeAnn!

• LeeAnn wrote:

Nevermind. I googled it. If anyone is interested, a pound of figs is 2 1/2 cups chopped, or 12 small figs. Now I can make the recipe!!

Thanks LeeAnn!

• LeeAnn wrote:

I don’t have a scale. Do you have any idea how many figs are in a pound? Thank you!

Hi LeeAnn – We don’t currently have any figs on hand to estimate…plus it will also depend on the size of your figs. For something like jam, measurements in weight vs volume is the most accurate. If you are buying them at the store, you should be able to weigh them there.

• Roberto wrote:

Awesome!
    I just made this recipe, and my first time making jam. I enjoy the addition of the lemon zest and thyme (and I used orange blossom honey because I had some).
    I’ll be looking for more figs so I can have some up until next year.

So glad you enjoyed the jam Roberto!

• Rebecca wrote:

I loved this recipe! When the jam was done I took the lemon peels out, dipped them in sugar and stuck them in the oven to dry to make candid lemon peels. What a treat! Thanks for sharing 🙂

Great idea Rebecca! So happy you enjoyed the jam!

• Janet Pham wrote:

We have a fig tree in our yard and were surprised to see it produce so much fruit this year! For some reason, my husband and I don’t like to eat them fresh (texture maybe?) but we LOVE fig jam so I’m excited to try this recipe. My only question is how sweet is it? I’m always weary of how much sugar I add to anything, would 1/4 cup be too little? Thanks!

Hi Janet – As we mentioned in the post, the jam is sweet but not too sweet and the lemon and thyme really balance the sweetness. Could I suggest that you make a small batch as written and then decide? Also, the sugar does help the natural pectins in the fruit set the jam…cutting it back to 1/4 cup may impact the thickness of your jam.

• Laura Manning wrote:

Can you double and triple the recipe? I was wondering if it would taste the same. I have around 4 lbs of figs.

Hi Laura – We’ve only made small batches but I don’t see why you can’t make larger batches. I suspect the cooking time might vary with the larger batches.

• Daniel wrote:

Hi Martha,
    I decided to make this jam since our fig tree is out of control and we loved the flavor! However, my jam came out more watery even though I did the full 50 minutes. I want to try another batch but any tips on what I may have done wrong? Maybe heat too high or wrong type of pot?
    Thanks in advance.

I’m not sure Daniel (it’s always difficult to troubleshoot from a distance)! Did you happen to make a larger batch than just the single recipe quantities? If so, it’s entirely possible it just needs to simmer longer with the larger quantities. One trick is to spoon a small amount of the jam on a plate and place it in the freezer to cool – after a few minutes, you can get a sense of how thick the jam will be once it cools so you know whether to simmer the batch for longer. Hope that helps!