This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Parmesan Crusted Zucchini Wedges are made with fresh zucchini that are cut into wedges, dipped in mayonnaise, then coated in seasoned panko breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese.
Baked to tender perfection – this easy zucchini recipe is kid-friendly, and parent approved!
A delicious way to prepare Zucchini
You don’t have to be a kid to enjoy these Parmesan Crusted Zucchini Wedges! But – as the parent of a picky vegetable eater – I’m happy to share this easy and delicious zucchini recipe that even our daughter enjoys!
Zucchini and Parmesan cheese are a flavor match made in heaven, and it’s made even better when crunchy panko breadcrumbs get in the mix. The outside of these Parmesan Crusted Zucchini Wedges bake up light and crispy, while the inside is so tender, it is almost creamy.
Why you’ll love Parmesan Crusted Zucchini Wedges
- This is another delicious way to cook with fresh garden zucchini.
- It’s simple to prepare and can bake in the oven along with the rest of dinner.
- Kids and grownups alike love this recipe!
Key Ingredients & Substitutions
- Zucchini – Select small to medium squash for this recipe so the wedges can be cut to a reasonable portion size.
- Panko Breadcrumbs – These are Japanese breadcrumbs that are larger and crispier than traditional breadcrumbs.
- Parmesan Cheese – For the best flavor, buy a wedge of aged Parmesan and finely shred it yourself. Bags of already shredded Parmesan sold in the specialty cheese aisle are a second choice, but never use the jarred Parmesan cheese – it just isn’t the same!
- Seasonings – Including kosher salt, black pepper, dried parsley, oregano, and basil, plus granulated garlic powder.
- Mayonnaise – Used as coating so the breadcrumbs stick to the zucchini wedges.
- Olive Oil
- You can also make this recipe with yellow summer squash.
Special Tools Needed
- Cutting board and knife, to prepare the zucchini
- Large bowl, to mix the breading
- Small bowl, to mix the coating
- Pastry brush
- Foil-lined sheet tray with rack
Placing the zucchini on a rack as it bakes is very important. This will prevent the zucchini from getting soggy.
If you don’t elevate the zucchini as it bakes, the wedges will sit in any moisture that releases as it bakes – making the wedges soggy.
How do I make Parmesan Crusted Zucchini Wedges??
- Cut both ends off the zucchini and cut into quarters (or 6 pieces if your zucchini is on the larger side).
- Make breading by mixing panko, Parmesan, herbs, and spices.
- Mix mayonnaise with olive oil.
- Brush all the cut tops with the mayonnaise mixture.
- Lift each squash up and hold over the breading bowl. With your other hand, sprinkle breading over the top so that all areas are covered.
- Place crumb-coated zucchini on the prepared sheet tray.
- Bake for 30 minutes, rotating pan halfway through.
- Serve immediately.
Tips & Tricks
Any leftover crumbs can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a month in a sealed zipper bag.
Or mix up a double batch of the crumb mixture and store in the refrigerator. This way, you can make this recipe at a moment’s notice.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I make Parmesan Crusted Baked Zucchini ahead of time? Yes, you can assemble ahead of time and refrigerate earlier in the day. But bake just before serving for best results.
- How do I store leftovers? Store in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
- How do I reheat leftovers? Heat in a hot oven until warmed through and crispy.
- Can I freeze? These could be frozen before baking but not afterwards. Thaw, then bake according to recipe instructions.
You might like these other Baked Zucchini Recipes:
Click here for more delicious Zucchini Recipes!
8 small to medium zucchini
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons dry parsley
1 teaspoon dry oregano
1 teaspoon dry basil
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F with rack in top third of oven to help with browning.
- Line a sheet tray with foil and fit in a rack of the same size. Spray rack with kitchen pan spray.
- Trim ends of each squash then cut each in half the long way and each half in half the long way to yield 32 long quarters.
- In a large bowl, mix panko, Parmesan, salt, pepper, parsley, oregano, basil, and garlic powder.
- In a small bowl mix mayonnaise with olive oil.
- With all the cut zucchini quarters laying cut side up on your cutting board, use a pastry brush and brush the cut tops with the mayonnaise mixture.
- Lift each zucchini quarter one at a time and hold suspended over the breading bowl. Use your other hand to grab breading and sprinkle over the zucchini. Make sure both cut sides get covered.
- As you bread each piece, place on prepared sheet tray, cut side up.
- Once all the zucchini are breaded and on the sheet tray, spray the tops lightly with kitchen pan spray then place the pan in the oven.
- Bake for 15 minutes, rotate pan, and bake for 15 minutes more.
- If not browned enough, broil for a minute or two.
- Serve immediately.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.