This weekend we had an impromptu family gathering with some of Jack’s side of the family, and this Marinated Grilled Chicken was part our delicious lunch!
This marinated grilled chicken has been one of my long-standing favorite ways to prepare boneless, skinless chicken, and I’ve been asked for this recipe so many times over the years – it’s really good! This is also a very versatile marinade – it’s super delicious with chicken, but it also works great as a marinade for steak tips as well.
It’s a very simple but flavorful marinade – just a packet of Good Seasons Italian Salad Dressing & Recipe Mix (we buy this in bulk!) combined with soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, oil, sliced onions and garlic. Marinate the chicken overnight and then grill it – and the results are moist and delicious chicken with a wonderful, caramelized color and amazing flavor!
This recipe is great for serving a crowd – you can grill the chicken in advance, slice it up and serve warm or chilled for buffets or sandwiches, and this chicken is also perfect in other recipes that call for cooked boneless, chicken breast meat. Enjoy!
Interested in more chicken recipes? Print
Click here for our 100+ Best Chicken Recipes.
This recipe makes enough to marinate up to 8 chicken breast halves.
- 4–8 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 4 large cloves of garlic, smashed
- 1/3 cup oil (your choice – canola, vegetable, olive)
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 package Good Seasons Italian Dressing Mix
- Trim all fat from the boneless, skinless chicken breasts. You may also want to ‘butterfly’ (see instructions here) the breasts if they are very thick so that they cook evenly on the grill. Place the trimmed chicken pieces in a large zipper seal bag.
- Add the sliced onion, smashed garlic cloves, oil, soy sauce, vinegar and Good Seasons pack to the bag with the chicken. Seal the back tightly, removing as much of the excess air from the bag as possible.
- Gently squeeze all of the contents of the bag so that the ingredients mix together and all of the chicken is coated. Place the bag in a large bowl or on a plate (in case the bag leaks) and place in the refrigerator.
- Allow the chicken to marinate in the refrigerator overnight – or for a minimum of 6 hours.
- When ready to cook, preheat your grill. Remove the chicken from the marinade and grill the chicken until cooked through – 10-20 minutes depending on the temperature of your grill.
- If you wish, you may drain the onions and garlic from the marinade and sauté until caramelized.
You may also like: