This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
For the cake
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup shortening
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup whole milk
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (fresh or frozen) of a mix of blueberries, raspberries and diced strawberries
- Additional shortening and flour to prepare the baking pan
For the topping
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup butter
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the sugar and shortening until light and fluffy. Add the egg and mix until blended. Then add the milk and mix again until blended.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the 2 cups flour, baking powder and salt. Fold the dry mixture into the wet mixture slowly until blended. Fold in the berries.
- Grease and flour a 9×9 or 8×10 pan. Spread the blueberry batter evenly into the prepared pan.
- To make the topping, combine the sugar, flour, and cinnamon. With a pastry blender or two knives, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle over the cake mixture in the pan.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes for an 8×10 pan or 45-50 minutes for an 9×9 pan (until cake tester comes out clean). Other size baking pans may be used – just adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- Serve warm or cold, plain or with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.