Our Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole has all of the flavors of a loaded baked potato – in casserole form! The ultimate comfort food!
This Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole is comfort food at its best! Imagine a big bowl of mashed potatoes – but topped with all of your favorite loaded baked potato fixings! (YUM!)
This crazy-good recipe is another great find discovered in my mother’s old recipe box, and it’s the type of family-friendly recipe that would be perfect served alongside any main dish like chicken, steak, fish or pork!
How do you make Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole?
My mom’s original version of this casserole was actually fairly basic – made with mashed potatoes, cream, scallions, green bell pepper, a mix of sour cream and cottage cheese, eggs and some simple seasonings. We decided to load this delicious casserole up even more by adding bacon to the top and adding melty Fontina cheese to the mashed potato mixture for some extra flavor!
Once you’ve selected your preferred toppings, cook up a rich and decadent mashed potato mixture, and spread it in the bottom of a deep dish pie plate or casserole dish. Then sprinkle your toppings and cheese over the top. Bake until heated through and golden brown on top.
I’d honestly be perfectly happy eating a bowl full of this scrumptious loaded mashed potato casserole as my dinner – forget any main course! It’s hearty, filling and comforting and it’s a recipe that kids and adults will both love!
You may enjoy these other Potato recipes:
- Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- Roasted Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Perfect Mashed Potatoes
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Kale and Boursin Cheese
- ½ pound uncooked bacon, diced
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, about two large potatoes
- ¼ cup whole milk or light cream
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 bunch scallions, white bottoms diced and green tops sliced (about ¼ cup diced whites separated from sliced tops)
- 2 tablespoons green bell pepper, minced
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup whole curd cottage cheese
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ¼ pound Fontina cheese, shredded
- Non-stick cooking spray
- In a medium to large fry pan, cook bacon to crisp. Remove bacon to paper towels and reserve one tablespoon of bacon fat in pan. Save the remaining bacon fat for other recipes or discard.
- Peel russets and cut each potato into 16 pieces (quarter the potato lengthwise and cut each quarter into quarters). Place in salted water and bring to a boil. Boil for ten minutes, then drain and place in a large bowl.
- Microwave milk and butter to hot and add to potatoes. Mash roughly with potato masher leaving some pieces.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat the tablespoon of bacon fat reserved from cooking bacon, over medium heat and cook scallion bottoms and green pepper for one minute. Scrape mixture (including fat) into the bowl with the mashed potato mixture and stir. Add sour cream, cottage cheese, salt, pepper and garlic powder and stir again.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs and temper them by adding small amounts of the potato mixture to the eggs until they are at the same temperature as the mixture, about 2-3 cups. Combine back in with potato mixture and stir.
- In a medium bowl, combine cooked bacon, scallion tops and shredded Fontina cheese.
- Spray a 9-inch round by 2 ½ inch deep casserole dish (or similar size) with the non-stick cooking spray and pour potato mixture into dish.
- Cover with cheese and bacon mixture.
- Cover with parchment and foil and bake 30 minutes covered then an additional 30 minutes uncovered.
- Serve immediately.