We’re always experimenting in the kitchen – especially when it comes to versatile foods for weeknight dinners like pork chops and chicken breasts. Today’s recipe for Crumb-Crusted Pork Chops is a delicious and very close in flavor copycat recipe to a store-bought Shake ‘n Bake coating mix!
Years ago, while attending a marketing class in grad school, I learned that Shake ‘n Bake gets its distinctive crunch from Grape-Nuts cereal. So with that in mind, my husband Jack experimented with different herbs, spices and oils added to Grape-Nuts and bread crumbs until he came up with today’s delicious recipe!
These crumb-crusted pork chops are super flavorful on the outside, and tender and juicy on the inside! You can use this crumb-coating on chicken too (but I will let you know that Jack has been experimenting with a different blend of herbs and spices that is even better suited for chicken which we’ll share someday soon)!
This recipe makes about 3 cups of the crumb coating – you’ll use about one cup of the coating for every pound of pork. Any unused, leftover crumb mixture can be refrigerated for about two to three weeks – just make sure not to reuse any coating that touches the uncooked pork.Print
- 2 cups Grape-Nuts cereal
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1 teaspoon dry basil
- 1 teaspoon dry parsley
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1½ inch to 2 inch bone-in pork chops
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place Grape-Nuts in food processor and process for 30 seconds. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add all other ingredients and using a whip, combine ingredients until fully blended.
- In a large zip lock bag, place one cup of mix for every pound of pork.
- Wet the pork chops and place in bag and shake and press until fully coated.
- Bake on a foil lined pan for 20-25 minutes or until cooked as desired.
You may also like: