This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Creamed Spinach is a classic, vegetable side dish that goes with just about any meal! This creamy, cheesy version is especially good with a grilled or pan-seared steak.
There is a trick to making Creamed Spinach that isn’t too runny, watery and over-cooked – and we detail all of our tips in the recipe below.
Basically, you’ll sauté the spinach in butter, shallots and other seasonings until just wilted – at that point the spinach has given up most of its water. Remove the spinach from the pan – then reduce the flavorful cooking liquid until it creates a thick sauce. Just before serving, add the wilted spinach back to the pan and along with some grated Parmesan cheese, then stir to combine and heat through.
This Creamed Spinach is quick and easy – and a delicious way to eat this healthy, green vegetable.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- ¼ cup shallots, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1 pound fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup half and half
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large sauté pan or skillet, over medium heat, melt two tablespoons of butter and add shallots, garlic, nutmeg and mustard powder and cook for three minutes.
- Add spinach and cook just to wilt, about two minutes.
- With tongs, remove spinach to a bowl, or strain and pour liquid back into pan.
- Add half and half, salt and pepper and cook over medium heat to reduce by about half or until the mixture is somewhat thick.
- Remove from heat and stir in remaining tablespoon of butter.
- Add cooked spinach and Parmesan cheese, heat just to serving temperature and serve.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
You may also like: