Apple Crisp - A Family Feast

This amazingly delicious, classic Apple Crisp recipe had been my go-to apple crisp recipe for years.  Every fall during apple-picking season, I’d pull this recipe out of a binder that I keep of old tried-and-true recipes I’ve collected, and I would bake this perfect apple crisp.

And then…I lost the recipe.

I looked through every page of my recipe binder with no luck!  I tried recreating this apple crisp from memory – I had made it so many times that I remembered the combination of ingredients, but not the exact proportions.  And over these last few years, I tried many other apple crisp recipes – but none compared to this one!

Apple Crisp - A Family Feast

But, eureka!  I found this apple crisp recipe a few weeks ago (in my binder, just filed in the wrong section…) and I was finally able to make it again!  This apple crisp more than lived up to memory, and my husband Jack thinks it’s the best apple crisp he has ever eaten!

Slices of sweet apples are combined with sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg plus a pinch of salt and a few tablespoons of flour (which help to thicken the juices from the apples into the perfect, sweet creamy sauce) and then placed in a large casserole dish.  The apple mixture is then topped with a generous topping of flour, oats, brown sugar and butter that bakes into the perfect crisp.

A classic Apple Crisp recipe - A decades-old recipe from the Tougas Family farm in New England. It doesn't get any better than this!

This recipe is very versatile and you can use a mix of apples depending on what is available in your area.  It’s best to use a combination of both apples that stay firm while baking (such as Cortland, Honey Crisp or Gravenstein) and some apples that cook down to a soft consistency when baking (such as MacIntosh).

Served with some vanilla ice cream – this is the perfect fall dessert!

This recipe was originally printed in The Boston Globe and is adapted from the Tougas Family Farm Cookbook which you can find online here.  The Tougas Family Farm bakes and sells tray after tray of this delicious apple crisp every fall at their farm store located in Northborough, Massachusetts.

clock clock icon cutlery cutlery icon flag flag icon folder folder icon instagram instagram icon pinterest pinterest icon print print icon squares squares icon
Apple Crisp - A Family Feast

• ¼ teaspoon salt

For the Topping:

• 1 cup flour
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • ½ cup oats
  • ½ cup butter (1 stick) cut into 1-inch pieces
  • Vanilla ice cream, for serving

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray a large casserole dish or 9×13-inch glass baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
  2. In a large bowl, combine the apple slices, sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Toss to coat the apples and transfer to the prepared baking dish.
  3. To make the topping, combine the flour, brown sugar and oats in a medium bowl. Add the butter pieces, and with your fingers, rub the butter in the mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle this mixture over the apples.
  4. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the topping is crisp and golden and the inside is warm and bubbly.
  5. Let sit for about 30 minutes before serving with vanilla ice cream

Keywords: apple, Fall,

Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.

Apple Harvest Squares

Apple Harvest Squares - A Family Feast

Apple Topped Cake

Apple Cake with Apples on Top - A Family Feast

Fresh Apple Torte

Fresh Apple Torte - A Family Feast

This best Apple Crisp recipe

Comments

• Lynn wrote:

I am making this dish for a get together this evening and wondering if I could put it all together and set in the refrigerator then bake it as we are esting our meal so it will be warm for topping with ice cream. I have another dish to put in the oven prior to dinner so would not be able to bake this until afterward. Thank you in advance.

Hi Lynn – You can, but I’d suggest holding off on adding the topping until ready to bake. Also, if everything is chilled, it will take longer to bake so plan accordingly, or keep at room temperature until baking. Hope that helps!

• Kelsey wrote:

I followed this recipe and it came out great! I would now like to make a gluten free version for a friend. Anything I should consider before swapping the flour and oats to GF versions?

Hi Kelsey – I’ve only made this as written, but I think as long as the GF flour you are using is one of the one-to-one varieties (we always have good luck with King Arthur or Bob’s Red Mill) it should be an even swap.

• tish Schumaker wrote:

Going to try this. I love apples.

We hope you love the apple crisp Tish!

• Andrea Hager, ND wrote:

Absolutely delicious, especially served with vanilla ice cream. I did omit the nutmeg, I would make it optional. Comfort dessert for fall.

Glad you enjoyed the recipe Andrea!

• ML wrote:

To help brown the topping cover the pan with foil and take off the last 10-15 mins for it to nicely brown.

Thanks for the suggestion! We didn’t find that putting foil on top was necessary but if that works better for you, that’s totally fine!

• Amy wrote:

So easy and delicious! We love this recipe and are making 3 batches of it tonight to use up some apples from our tree.

Thanks Amy!

• Charmaine wrote:

Any apple crisp or pie recipe has to have some orange juice.

By all means, feel free to add it if you’d like Charmaine!

• Carol wrote:

How can I cut this recipe to fit an 8×8 pan. This is too large!

Thanks

Hi Carol – I’d cut the ingredients in half for that size pan. Enjoy!

• Erin wrote:

So good! I made it exactly to recipe and it was to die for. The second time, I threw in about half a cup of leftover pumpkin puree and added some pp spices. Also delicious!

I love that idea Erin! I’m going to try adding the pumpkin the next time we make this recipe! Thanks for writing to us – so glad you enjoyed the recipe.

• Jeanne wrote:

My daughter’s boyfriend loves apple crisp, and he was due to come home from college for a long weekend, so she asked me to make it for him. I was more than happy to do so and decided to use this recipe, since it seemed to be the closest to the way my late mother made it. (I don’t think Mom even had a written-down recipe. It was one of those things she just made off the top of her head.) I used several different variety of apples, which is something I usually do when making apple anything, and upped the amount of oats by just a bit. Otherwise I followed the recipe to the letter. The only thing I might do differently next time is use an 11×17 baking dish and bake it for a bit longer, just so the servings have a bit more heft to them. This is really an excellent recipe. I served it with Redi-Whip squirted on top, but both Adrienne and Carter allowed as how it would be really good with vanilla ice cream.

• Jeanne wrote:

No, wait, 11×17 is a size of copier paper that I use at work. I meant 11×7.

Thanks Jeanne – So glad you enjoyed the recipe!

• Arleen wrote:

Sounds really good. Eill be making this with Paula reds we picked. Just wanted to mention that it’s extra special if you drizzle Carmel topping over the icecream. Had that in a restaurant. .too die for

Sounds delicious Arleen!

• Chris C. wrote:

Martha, Can you half this recipe? If so, is the baking time the same? Thanks!

Hi Chris – Yes – You can half the recipe. The baking time will probably be less – depending on what kind of baking dish you use, I’d start checking about 1/2 way through the baking time and then it’s done when the apples are bubbling and the top is golden brown.

• Christie Ferguson wrote:

Do you think I could half this and bake in a 9×9 or 8×8 pan?

Yes Christie – That should work just fine!

• Kathy wrote:

Can I make this in the morning and keep in fridge to bake later in the evening?

Hi Kathy – Yes you can. However, the baking time will be longer if it’s chilled so please plan for that – or, you could take it out of the refrigerator ahead of time to bring it back up to room temperature before baking.

• Shandy wrote:

Would adding some brown sugar up the flavor a little?

Hi Shandy – You can certainly add brown sugar if you’d like!