This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
- ¼ pound bacon (optional)
- 3 scallions tops and bottoms (optional)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 small bunch of chives, snipped
- 1 ½ pounds baby new red potatoes
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ pound queso fresco cheese, crumbled or any fresh crumbly cheese (optional)
- In a sauté pan, cook bacon until crisp. Let cool, then crumble and set aside. Chop parsley and chives and set aside.
- Peel potatoes and place in a medium to large pot of salted water. (Note: Because you will be using this same pot to sauté the potatoes after they are boiled, the pot should be nonstick and be large enough so all of the potatoes touch bottom, are not piled on top of each other, and the water should just cover the tops of the potatoes.)
- Bring the pot to a boil over high heat and once boiling, lower to a slow boil and cook ten minutes.
- Gently drain the potatoes into a colander. Place four tablespoons of the butter into the empty pot and gently pour hot potatoes over the melting butter. Cover and bring heat to medium low and cook ten more minutes without removing lid. Melt the remaining two tablespoons of butter and hold.
- Remove lid and turn heat to high and add salt and pepper. At this point, be very gentle as you cook and turn so that the potatoes stay whole. With two wooden spoons, gently turn and brown the potatoes over the course of ten minutes in the hot butter. (Some might brown before others so have a serving bowl close by and pluck out the browned potatoes as you go. This method will ensure an even browning without breaking up the potatoes.) Try not to shake the pan as the potatoes brown.
- As soon as the last potato is browned, pour the reserved melted butter over potatoes and sprinkle with the parsley and chives. Discard the browned butter in the pan.
- Serve with cooked crumbled bacon, chopped scallions and queso fresco on the side, or sprinkle over the top of the potatoes and serve.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.