My husband Jack and I are both big fans of steel cut oatmeal and we often enjoy it as a hearty breakfast. So when we came across this recipe for Steel Cut Oatmeal Honey Bread in my mother’s old recipe box – we immediately wanted to try it!
This Steel Cut Oatmeal Honey Bread has tiny bits of the steel cut oats inside, giving the bread a rustic texture that is also super flavorful. It looks very dense – but the baked bread is surprisingly light and chewy! And while there is honey added to the bread dough – it’s not a very sweet bread so you can enjoy this both as a savory loaf, as well as with sweet toppings like jam or honey and butter.
This Steel Cut Oatmeal Honey Bread is very easy to make! The oats first soak in boiling water for about two hours to soften – then that is mixed into a fuss-free batter that includes both milk and honey. It bakes up with a wonderful crust that is easy to slice and serve.Print
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ stick butter (4 tablespoons)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Place steel cut oats in a large bowl and cover with the one cup of boiling water. Let sit uncovered at room temperature for 2 hours. Stir once half way through.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a small microwave safe bowl, melt butter and honey then stir into bowl with oats.
- Beat egg into milk and alternately add milk mixture and flour mixture to large bowl with oats stirring with a wooden spoon as you add each. Do not over mix, just mix to combine wet into dry.
- Generously spray a standard size loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray and scrape the dough into the pan. Using a spatula, smooth out the top then place in oven for 70 minutes (one hour and ten minutes), or until a tooth pick inserted in center comes out clean. The dough is dense so we recommend leaving in for the full 70 minutes.
- As soon as the bread comes out of the oven, remove from pan and cool on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Slice and serve with additional drizzled honey.
You may also enjoy: