- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ stick butter (4 tablespoons)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Place steel cut oats in a large bowl and cover with the one cup of boiling water. Let sit uncovered at room temperature for 2 hours. Stir once half way through.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a small microwave safe bowl, melt butter and honey then stir into bowl with oats.
- Beat egg into milk and alternately add milk mixture and flour mixture to large bowl with oats stirring with a wooden spoon as you add each. Do not over mix, just mix to combine wet into dry.
- Generously spray a standard size loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray and scrape the dough into the pan. Using a spatula, smooth out the top then place in oven for 70 minutes (one hour and ten minutes), or until a tooth pick inserted in center comes out clean. The dough is dense so we recommend leaving in for the full 70 minutes.
- As soon as the bread comes out of the oven, remove from pan and cool on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Slice and serve with additional drizzled honey.