Start your day with these fantastic Morning Glory Muffins! Loaded with carrots, apples, raisins and nuts – these will be come your new favorite muffin!
Years ago, I lived near a great little coffee shop in Danvers, Massachusetts called the Custom Cup Caffe. Every Friday on my way into work, one of my weekly rituals was to stop and treat myself to a cup of their terrific coffee and one of their even-more-terrific Morning Glory Muffins.
A few years ago (long after I had moved away from Danvers), I found myself craving one of those moist, sweet, cinnamon Morning Glory Muffins – filled with carrots, raisins, nuts, and other yummy ingredients.
While searching around online for a recipe to try making at home, I learned that Morning Glory Muffins were originally created at the Morning Glory Café on Nantucket Island by chef and café owner Pam McKinstry. Her now-famous original recipe found here, was published in Gourmet magazine in 1981, and in 1991 was chosen as one of the magazine’s twenty-five favorite recipes from the past fifty years. (I can totally see why!)
The version we’re are sharing today was gently adapted from a different, highly-rated Morning Glory Muffin recipe found here. We added flaxseed to the recipe to boost the healthy quotient, but adding that is totally optional.
This post was originally published in October, 2012. We’ve updated the post with new images and text.Print
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded carrots (3–4 medium carrots, peeled before shredding)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut (sweetened or unsweetened)
- 1/2 cup shredded apple (about 1 medium apple, cored and peeled before shredding)
- 1/4 cup flaxseed (optional)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 12 muffin cups with paper muffin liners (or grease a non-stick muffin pan).
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Stir in the carrots, raisins, chopped walnuts, coconut, shredded apple and flaxseed. Mix until well blended.
- In a separate smaller bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil and vanilla. Pour the egg mixture into the carrot/flour mixture and stir just until moistened.
- Scoop batter into prepared muffin cups. (Note that the muffin cups will be very full which is OK as these muffins rise only slightly during the baking process.)
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes. They will be done when the centers are still slightly soft but a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean.
Keywords: Morning Glory Muffins
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
You may also like: