School vacation week is winding down for us today (boo!) – but we’ve had a great ‘staycation’ at home this week! Actually, my husband Jack worked all week, but my seven-year-old and I had more time to relax… sleeping in every morning, seeing a Disney on Ice show with her Daisy Girl Scout troop, as well as some play dates with friends in between a few regularly-scheduled classes that were still held during this vacation week!
And for me – not playing chauffeur to so many activities meant that I could spend some extra time in the kitchen! For me – that usually means baking and I finally got a chance to try this recipe for Sour Cream Coffee Cake Muffins!
These sour cream coffee cake muffins have been on my to-make list for a while ever since I spotted the recipe here. I love muffins with a sweet crumbly streusel topping, and with a cup of sour cream in the batter, I knew that these would be perfectly moist as well!
I adapted the original recipe just slightly – adding more butter to the streusel mixture so that the topping would hold better to the top of the muffin after baking. But otherwise, this is the perfect coffee cake muffin – not too sweet, filled with wonderful vanilla flavor with a sweet cinnamon streusel baked inside as well as on top!
These muffins are a wonderful morning treat – and they freeze well too! So, even though we’ll be back to our busy lives next week, we can still enjoy these delicious sour cream coffee cake muffins for breakfast!
Adapted from Just a TastePrint
For the streusel
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into ½ inch pieces
For the batter
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/3 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with paper liners and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add the dry streusel ingredients (flour, sugar and cinnamon) and stir with a whisk to combine. Using a fork or a pastry cutter, add the butter pieces and work into the dry mixture until well incorporated. Set aside.
- To make the batter, in another medium bowl, add the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and whisk together. Set aside.
- In the bowl of stand mixer, beat together softened butter, oil, and sugar and mix well. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each egg is added.
- Keeping the mixer on a low speed, slowly add in the sour cream and vanilla and finally the flour mixture and mix until fully combined, but being careful not to over mix the batter. (Once you’ve turned off the mixer, using a spatula, give the mixture one additional stir by hand just to make sure that all of the wet ingredients from the bottom are completely mixed into the flour mixture.)
- Spoon a heaping tablespoon of batter into each prepared muffin cup. Then sprinkle some of the streusel mixture on top of the batter. Divide the remaining batter into the muffin cups (spoon on top of the streusel layer) and then divide the remaining streusel over each muffin, sprinkling it over the batter.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean.
- Remove the pan from the oven and remove each muffin to a wire rack to cool completely.
You may also like: