This time of year – when everyone else seems to be going crazy for pumpkin recipes – I myself am super excited about cranberry season!
In Southeastern Massachusetts where we live, cranberry harvesting is in full swing (it’s such a cool process to watch!) and that was part of the inspiration behind sharing today’s recipe for Ruby Red Grapefruit and Cranberry Chicken.
We came across today’s recipe in my mother’s old recipe box – and knew instantly that this would be a perfect recipe to try once fresh cranberries were back in season!
We started by searing some pieces of bone-in, skin-on chicken in a skillet – then placing them in a baking dish. Then the chicken is smothered in a sauce made from cranberry sauce, honey, brown sugar, cloves, Ruby Red grapefruit juice, and whole fresh cranberries before baking it in the oven. Right before the chicken is done baking – top with red grapefruit sections and bake a few minutes more until heated through.
The finished Ruby Red Grapefruit and Cranberry Chicken is wonderfully moist with a tart and gently sweet sauce that is quite delicious with the savory chicken!
Served alongside some rice and a simple mixed greens salad – your family will love this taste of New England during the cranberry harvest!
Interested in more chicken recipes? Print
Click here for our 100+ Best Chicken Recipes.
For the Sauce
- 1 14-ounce can whole berry cranberry sauce
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, (2 more tablespoons if you like it on the sweeter side)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup Ruby Red 100% pure grapefruit juice, unsweetened
- 1 cup whole cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 tablespoon grapefruit zest
- 2 large or 3 medium pink grapefruits, peeled and flesh removed from pulp (about three cups of grapefruit sections)
For the Chicken
- 3-4 pounds cut up bone-in and skin-on chicken (breast, thighs, drum sticks and wings)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium pot, place all sauce ingredients except grapefruit sections. Bring to a boil and simmer for ten minutes then remove from heat.
- Pat chicken dry then salt and pepper both sides.
- In a large skillet or fry pan, melt butter in oil over medium high. When the butter starts to froth, place half the chicken pieces skin side down and cook four minutes. Flip and cook four more minutes (we recommend that you use a splatter screen to avoid a mess). Move seared chicken to a 9X13 baking dish skin up. Cook second half of chicken the same way and place in casserole dish with the first half.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and cover the pan with parchment paper then foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and discard paper and foil and cover the tops with the grapefruit sections and bake for 15 more minutes.
- Serve chicken pieces with hot grapefruit sections and sauce over top.
You may also like: