This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
For those of you who are celebrating the July 4th holiday here in the US – we hope you have a wonderful day today! And what better way to celebrate than with a fun, frosty cocktail like our Watermelon and Pink Grapefruit Frozen Margaritas!
Yesterday, we shared a post about our recent trip to Atlantic City – and as part of that trip, Jack and I decided to sign-up for a class at the Viking Cooking School located inside the hotel where we stayed. (We’ll share some photos from our cooking class next week!)
Our recipe today was inspired by a watermelon margarita that was served during that cooking class – but we changed the recipe up (like we usually do!) to include some pink grapefruit as part of the frozen fruity mix! The grapefruit is a delicious complement to the sweet watermelon and combined with lime juice, tequila and triple sec – this is unlike any frozen margarita you’ve ever had before!
You can make your watermelon and pink grapefruit frozen margaritas a little more festive by putting colored sugar on the rim (we tell you how to do it in the recipe) plus a slice of lime, and a thin wedge of watermelon for garnish. And – if you prefer salt on the rim of your margarita glass, you can also use the same technique to color coarse kosher salt.
Have a great holiday – and a great weekend everyone!
- 3 cups seedless watermelon, cubed and frozen
- 1 pink grapefruit fruit (skin and pith removed), frozen
- 3 tablespoons or more of simple syrup, see how to make this in step 1 below
- ½ cup fresh squeezed lime juice, about 6 limes
- 1 cup tequila
- ½ cup Triple Sec orange liquor
- ¾ cup crushed ice
- Very thin lime and watermelon slices, for garnish
- Lime wedge to coat glass rim
- Colored sugar to rim the glass, see how to make this in step 2 below
- To make simple syrup, place 1/3 cup of sugar and 1/3 cup of water in a small sauce pan and simmer until thick and syrupy. This will yield about 4-5 tablespoons once reduced.
- To make colored sugar, mix ½ cup of granulated sugar with 4-5 drops of liquid red food coloring and mix with a fork. Add more food coloring to get desired color.
- Freeze margarita glasses for at least 30 minutes.
- In a blender, place frozen watermelon, frozen grapefruit, 3 tablespoons simple syrup, lime juice, tequila, Triple Sec and crushed ice and blend to a fine consistency. Add more simple syrup to taste.
- Take lime wedge and rub on rim of glasses.
- Pour colored sugar in dish and rub wet glass rim in sugar.
- Cut lime slices for each glass, make a slit half way on the slices and twist.
- Cut enough small watermelon triangles to garnish each glass.
- Pour blended drink into each rimmed glass and garnish with a lime twist and melon wedge.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
You may also like: