Note: Additional time (other than what is listed in this recipe) will be needed to freeze the watermelon and grapefruit.
- 3 cups seedless watermelon, cubed and frozen
- 1 pink grapefruit fruit (skin and pith removed), frozen
- 3 tablespoons or more of simple syrup, see how to make this in step 1 below
- ½ cup fresh squeezed lime juice, about 6 limes
- 1 cup tequila
- ½ cup Triple Sec orange liquor
- ¾ cup crushed ice
- Very thin lime and watermelon slices, for garnish
- Lime wedge to coat glass rim
- Colored sugar to rim the glass, see how to make this in step 2 below
- To make simple syrup, place 1/3 cup of sugar and 1/3 cup of water in a small sauce pan and simmer until thick and syrupy. This will yield about 4-5 tablespoons once reduced.
- To make colored sugar, mix ½ cup of granulated sugar with 4-5 drops of liquid red food coloring and mix with a fork. Add more food coloring to get desired color.
- Freeze margarita glasses for at least 30 minutes.
- In a blender, place frozen watermelon, frozen grapefruit, 3 tablespoons simple syrup, lime juice, tequila, Triple Sec and crushed ice and blend to a fine consistency. Add more simple syrup to taste.
- Take lime wedge and rub on rim of glasses.
- Pour colored sugar in dish and rub wet glass rim in sugar.
- Cut lime slices for each glass, make a slit half way on the slices and twist.
- Cut enough small watermelon triangles to garnish each glass.
- Pour blended drink into each rimmed glass and garnish with a lime twist and melon wedge.