This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Granitas are perfect refreshing summertime desserts – and they are a delicious way to enjoy summer’s abundance of melon and other fruits!
Our Creamy Melon Granita is also one of the easiest ways to make a granita! While most granita recipes require you to frequently scrape the mixture with a fork during the freezing process to get a shaved ice texture – this recipe is so much simpler!
Instead of using sugar like most granita recipes do, we’ve added sweetened condensed milk to the pureed melon which helps sweeten this wonderful dessert – as well as giving it a slightly creamier consistency that doesn’t need the constant scraping during the freezing process. (We used a fat-free sweetened condensed milk to make this granita a little on the lighter side too!)
Just freeze the melon puree, and once it has hardened, scrape the mixture with a fork to create your sweet, flavorful shaved ice! Scoop or spoon the creamy melon granita into your serving dish – and this delicious summer dessert is ready!
We used a mix of cantaloupe and watermelon for the recipe shown here – but you can follow this recipe using any melon you choose.
Adapted from Martha Stewart.
- 2 cups cantaloupe, cut into large chunks
- 4 cups seedless watermelon, cut into large chunks
- 1/3 cup non-fat sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup lemon or lime juice (we used a mix of the two in our recipe)
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor (or blender) and process until completely pureed.
- Pour the puree into a flat baking dish (8×8-inches or 12×7-inches). Freeze until firm. (At this point, you can also put your serving dishes into the refrigerator to chill if you’d like.)
- Right before serving, scrape the frozen granita with a fork until you have a bowl of shaved ice.
- Spoon or scoop into bowls and serve immediately.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
You may also like: