This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Greek Lemon Chicken Soup with Orzo is a delicious, classic soup with a creamy, egg-infused broth and bright lemon flavor!This week – with some still-cold temperatures outside and a sinus-cold making it’s way through the inside of our house, the only thing I can think about is warm and comforting foods like this Greek Lemon Chicken Soup with Orzo. This delicious Greek Lemon Chicken Soup with Orzo is made from a version of our homemade chicken stock recipe – but with ingredients especially tailored to this dish. That specialized and very delicious stock is really the key to giving this soup it’s distinctively light and bright flavor profile!
- Greek Rice (Spanakorizo)
- Greek Chicken Roulade
- Greek Salad with Meat
- Greek Spinach with White Beans and Feta
- Greek Salad Dressing
For the Stock
- 3–4 pounds chicken parts (legs, thighs, wings, backs, necks, etc)
- 2 large celery stalks with leaves, cut into quarters
- 1 large or two medium leeks, white only cleaned of all sand and cut in half lengthwise
- 1 pound yellow onion quartered
- 1 whole lemon quartered
- 1 knob of ginger (about one ounce)
- ½ large bunch fresh flat leaf parsley including stems
- 4 each medium scallions
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 large garlic cloves peeled and smashed
- 1 gallon water
For the Soup
- 2 quarts stock from above
- 1 additional quart chicken stock (carton or canned)
- 1 cup dry orzo
- 4 eggs beaten
- 1 pound cooked chicken (picked from stock)
- Juice from two lemons
- Zest from two lemons
- 12 ounces fresh spinach
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place all stock ingredients into a large pot, bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for four hours.
- Strain stock and hold. You should have about 2 quarts. Separate meat from solids. Set meat aside and discard solids.
- In a large pot, add stock and additional quart of purchased stock for a total of three quarts. Bring to a boil.
- Add orzo and boil on medium for ten minutes.
- Use a wire whip and slowly add beaten eggs while stirring liquid so eggs form shreds in the stock. Cook for 30 seconds then add cooked chicken, lemon juice, lemon zest and fresh spinach. Bring to a boil and then remove from heat.
- Adjust seasoning if needed and serve.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.