This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This post is sponsored by McCormick. All opinions are 100% mine.
Here in New England where we live, apple picking is a must-do activity every fall! It’s a wonderful way to spend time with our family outdoors: enjoying New England’s colorful foliage, going on a hayride out to the fields to pick out a pumpkin, buying corn stalks and mums for decorating the front stoop of our house – and of course – stocking up on a ton of freshly-picked apples for fall baking!
And what do I always make with those apples? This Fresh Apple Torte!
Our fresh apple torte is an often-requested recipe that has made its way into my extended family’s holiday dessert rotation every year. It’s that delicious – and this is pretty much my idea of the perfect apple dessert!
We start with a simple and sweet shortbread crust that is pressed down into the bottom of a springform pan (a deep dish pie plate also works). Then a vanilla-flavored cream cheese filling is spooned onto the crust. Apple slices are then sweetened and seasoned with sugar and McCormick’s Apple Pie Spice blend – then placed over the cream cheese filling in a decorative spiral. Finally, a sprinkle of sliced almonds are added to the top to the torte before baking.
When this fresh apple torte comes out of the oven – the aroma of the apples, vanilla and apple pie spices is truly amazing! And my husband Jack’s favorite part about this dessert is how the edges of the apples get sweet and caramelized during the baking process – almost creating a crust around the edges of the pan. Allow your fresh apple torte to cool slightly before serving with some vanilla ice cream.
No matter what fall baking you are doing, McCormick has you covered with their Apple Pie Spice and Pumpkin Pie Spice blends. Or, if your fall baking calls for specific kinds of spices, looks for McCormick Gourmet’s Saigon Cinnamon, Ground Ginger, Ground Nutmeg, Ground Jamaican Allspice, plus so many more! McCormick also has a great collection of fall baking recipes right here.
For the crust
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
For the filling
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
For the topping
- 3 cups apples peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Apple Pie Spice
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat the oven to 475 degrees. Lightly grease a 9″ springform pan (or a 9″ deep dish pie plate may be used).
- To make the crust, cream together the butter, 1/3 cup sugar and the one teaspoon vanilla in a bowl. Add the flour and beat to mix well – the mixture will resemble coarse crumbs. Evenly spread the mixture in the pan and press down to completely cover the bottom.
- To prepare the filling, beat together the cream cheese, ¼ cup of sugar, egg and ½ teaspoon vanilla until smooth. Pour the filling over the uncooked crust and gently spread until it evenly covers the crust.
- In a medium bowl, toss the peeled and sliced apples with the remaining ¼ cup of sugar and Apple Pie Spice. Arrange the apples over the cream cheese layer in a pinwheel design, starting from the outside edge and working toward the middle of the pan.
- Any extra apples can be piled on top of the others. Sprinkle the top evenly with the almonds.
- Bake at 475 for 10 minutes. Lower the heat to 375 degrees and bake for 25 minutes. Finally, lower the heat to 350 degrees and bake for 20 minutes more.
- Remove from oven and let cool before serving.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
You may also like these other delicious Fall-inspired desserts: