A delicious apple torte with a sweet shortbread crust and cream cheese filling topped with sweet cinnamon apples and almonds.
For the crust
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
For the filling
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
For the topping
- 3 cups apples peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Apple Pie Spice
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat the oven to 475 degrees. Lightly grease a 9″ springform pan (or a 9″ deep dish pie plate may be used).
- To make the crust, cream together the butter, 1/3 cup sugar and the one teaspoon vanilla in a bowl. Add the flour and beat to mix well – the mixture will resemble coarse crumbs. Evenly spread the mixture in the pan and press down to completely cover the bottom.
- To prepare the filling, beat together the cream cheese, ¼ cup of sugar, egg and ½ teaspoon vanilla until smooth. Pour the filling over the uncooked crust and gently spread until it evenly covers the crust.
- In a medium bowl, toss the peeled and sliced apples with the remaining ¼ cup of sugar and Apple Pie Spice. Arrange the apples over the cream cheese layer in a pinwheel design, starting from the outside edge and working toward the middle of the pan.
- Any extra apples can be piled on top of the others. Sprinkle the top evenly with the almonds.
- Bake at 475 for 10 minutes. Lower the heat to 375 degrees and bake for 25 minutes. Finally, lower the heat to 350 degrees and bake for 20 minutes more.
- Remove from oven and let cool before serving.