Our Confetti Chicken Tacos are a quick-to-prepare, super delicious weeknight dinner that the whole family will love – especially on those evenings when everyone is hungry and time is tight!
In addition to this being a very delicious meal – what’s also really great about these confetti chicken tacos is that most of the prep can be done in advance. OR – you can even cook it completely in advance and then simply reheat.
Our confetti chicken tacos recipe uses boneless, skinless chicken thighs – which I personally think are more flavorful than the meat from boneless, skinless chicken breast (although you can use the breast meat if you prefer!). And a mix of diced green, red, yellow and orange sweet bell peppers gives a colorful “confetti” look to the taco filling – plus some jalapeño for a little heat!
But the best part is the combination of seasonings in the sauce! With a perfect mix of chili powder, cumin, onion powder, coriander, oregano and garlic powder – the sauce on these confetti chicken tacos rivals that of the best Mexican restaurants! Enjoy!
Interested in more chicken recipes?
Click here for our 100+ Best Chicken Recipes.
- 1½ pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 ½ cups onion diced
- 1 small yellow bell pepper diced
- 1 small orange bell pepper diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced (more if you like it hotter)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon dry oregano
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Taco shells
- Shredded Mexican cheese
- Shredded lettuce
- Diced tomatoes
- Sour cream
- Cut the chicken thighs up into very small pieces by cutting the thighs into strips with a very sharp knife, then turn and cut against the strips into tiny pieces. Lay them out and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- In a large heavy bottomed fry pan over high heat, place one tablespoon of the oil. When smoking hot, swirl around the pan and add half the chicken pieces. Make sure you drop the pieces in a little at a time so they are separated. If you put them in the pan in a pile and try to spread them out, they will start to steam and will not sear. Cook these for a few minutes to brown one side and with a spatula, flip and cook the other side for one minute (don’t worry about turning every single piece). Transfer this to a bowl.
- Heat the pan back up with the second tablespoon of oil and cook the second half of the chicken once the pan is smoking hot. Remove that batch to the same bowl.
- Reduce the burner to medium high and heat the last of the oil. Add onions and all five peppers and sauté for about three minutes until just tender.
- Add all of the herbs and spices, the water, tomato paste, cilantro and cooked chicken with any liquid from the bowl and cook stirring often over medium heat for about five minutes to thicken and meld the flavors.
- Remove from heat and serve with your choice of soft or hard taco shells and toppings.
Keywords: chicken taco recipe, confetti chicken tacos
You may also like: