This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Coconut Rice is basmati rice cooked in coconut milk with toasted almond slivers, lime juice and zest, plus scallions and cilantro stirred in. Super easy to make and super delicious!
Easy and VERY delicious Coconut Rice
This Coconut Rice recipe couldn’t be any easier to make – and the flavors of the rice infused with coconut milk and cilantro plus crispy toasted almonds is out of this world!
Toasted slivered almonds are added to a pot with basmati rice, coconut milk, lime juice and lime zest, scallions and fresh cilantro – plus water and kosher salt. Simmer the rice until cooked – then fluff it with a fork and you’re ready to serve with some chopped cilantro on top.
“I’ve made this rice several times now, and I love it each time more and more! I love to make a double batch so that I can have a bowl of this to scoop into for a couple of days. Pairs up beautifully with a spicy salmon! Thank you for sharing this amazing recipe!”-Geena
Why You’ll Love Coconut Rice
- The combination of flavors – coconut, lime, toasted almonds, scallions, and cilantro – transforms a simple rice dish into something special.
- This easy side dish cooks up in just thirty minutes.
- It’s a great side dish to so many different main courses.
Key Ingredients & Substitutions
- Rice – Basmati rice is ideal for this recipe because it has a nice nutty flavor and light texture. Jasmine or other long grain rice can also be used.
- Coconut Milk – Canned, unsweetened coconut milk.
- Lime – Both lime juice and zest.
- Almonds – Buy slivered almonds for this recipe as they toast up nicely and hold their crunchy texture even after cooking.
- Kosher Salt
- Fresh Scallions
- Fresh Cilantro – Some is added to the rice while cooking and more is sprinkled over the top for serving.
Special Tools You’ll Need
- Cutting Board & Sharp Knife
- Various Measuring Cups & Spoons
- Medium Non-Stick Skillet – To toast the almonds
- Can Opener
- Saucepan with Lid
How Do I Make Coconut Rice?
- Lightly toast the almonds in a dry skillet.
- Add rice, toasted almonds, coconut milk, lime juice and zest, salt, water, scallions, and most of the cilantro to a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cook rice for fifteen minutes.
- Remove the rice from the heat and let sit for five minutes.
- Fluff with a fork, then serve immediately with some extra cilantro on top.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I make Coconut Rice ahead of time? Yes, it reheats nicely.
- How do I store leftovers? Store in covered container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
- How do I reheat the leftover rice? Reheat individual servings in the microwave until warmed through. Avoid overheating.
This Coconut Rice recipe originally appeared on A Family Feast in August 2015. We’ve updated the post and photos but the delicious recipe remains the same.
Click here for more delicious Side Dish Recipes!
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 13.5–ounce can coconut milk
- Zest from one lime
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped, plus more for garnish when serving
- In a dry pan, toast almonds until golden brown. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan with a tight fitting lid, place all ingredients including the toasted almonds and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer on low for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit five minutes then fluff.
- Serve with additional chopped cilantro.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.