This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Recipe inspiration comes from all sorts of places, and today’s fantastic Brussels Sprouts and Bacon Pizza was inspired by a very happy occasion in our family!
Our son Tim and his fiancée Danielle are getting married this coming January at a destination wedding in Cancun, Mexico. But they also had plans to hold a legal marriage ceremony here in the United States beforehand in order to avoid some of the paperwork and red tape associated with getting a marriage license for a wedding overseas.
(Photo Credit: Ross Kavanagh Photography)
So last month – on the anniversary of the day that they got engaged – Tim surprised Danielle and asked a small group of close friends and family to meet up with them in Boston. We gathered under a beautifully lit arbor near the waterfront – with a minister in tow – and Tim and Danielle got married!
After the ceremony, our group went to a nearby Boston restaurant called The Living Room where we sipped on champagne and munched on hors d’oeuvres.
One of the hors d’oeuvres we ordered was a flatbread pizza with roasted Brussels sprouts on top – and it was fantastic! So much so that Jack and I decided to try making a variation at home – adding bacon, a balsamic vinegar reduction and dried cranberries on top, plus shavings of Asiago cheese!
Oh my…this pizza is very special – and very delicious!! The strong, nutty flavor of the Brussels sprouts is perfectly complemented by the salty bacon and the sweet-tart balsamic reduction and cranberries. (I’m wishing I had some right now as I stare at these photos!)
This Brussels Sprouts and Bacon Pizza is going on our regular dinner rotation – and it will always be a happy reminder of Tim and Danielle’s ‘official’ wedding too!
- Bring pizza dough to room temperature.
- Place vinegar, cranberries and sugar in a small sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook down to a creamy consistency, about 20-30 minutes. Should be spreadable like jam. If not thick enough, dissolve corn starch in a few drops of water and add to hot liquid to thicken. Set aside to cool.
- Place Brussels sprouts in a small pan and cover with water. Place lid on pan, bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer and cook 5 minutes. Then drain.
- Cut each Brussels sprout in half the long way. Larger sprouts cut into three. Set aside.
- Cook bacon until not quite crisp and still a little chewy. Drain on paper towels and cut into one inch pieces.
- Place pizza stone in oven and preheat to 550 degrees or as hot as your oven can get.
- Dust pizza peel with corn meal.
- Dust counter with flour and press dough out to at least 14 inches in diameter then place on dusted pizza peel.
- If the cranberry/vinegar reduction is stiff, transfer to a microwave-safe container, then heat for a few seconds to soften, then top dough with the reduction and cover with half of the mozzarella.
- Arrange slices of Brussels sprouts and cooked bacon over cheese then top with remaining mozzarella.
- Bake the pizza for 7-9 minutes or until the bottom is browned and the top is bubbly.
- Immediately shave some Asiago cheese over the top with a vegetable peeler and cut for serving.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
You may also like: